add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

well, it is an older chipset from last year, I got it on amazon for around $350 in May this year. Unfortunately it looks like EVGA discontinued the x79 chipset when the Z170 was released. You can get your hands on one, but its not going to be cheap. I saw two new ones on amazon from seperate retailers for around $700, here is the link http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-150-SE-E789-K2-DARK-LGA2011-MAX-64GB/dp/B00KDC7MJM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1447912433&sr=8-6&keywords=evga+x79+dark

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

That's pretty crazy. You'd think they would drop in price after they were discontinued, especially after newer - more updated chipsets were released. Would you suggest dropping the X79 and purchase the Z170 instead? I just can't justify spending $700+ on a Motherboard which may not even arrive in a working order. The only downfall I could see would be having 4 DIMM slots instead of 8. Right now I'm just looking for possible replacements for the X79.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion, if you want to keep the red and black color scheme, I would suggest the X99 chipset, and I would go with the EVGA X99 Classified, next closest mobo in looks to the X79 Dark, also the X99 is an excellent chipset. Not saying the Z170 is a bad one though, if you would rather want the 6th gen intel cores.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey MrMoose, just checking in in regards to my reply 3 months ago. So far so good. I have the following components ready to build this weekend (if all goes well). I decided to go with the 6th gen Intel cores which made me go with the Z170 Classified from EVGA and the 3200MHz DDR4 sticks to make the most of what's available. Going for a White/Black theme. I plan to add another 980 and another 16Gb of memory in the coming months (can't empty the wallet entirely haha).

EVGA Z170 Classified. i7-6700K. 1 x EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+. Corsair Obsidian 750D. EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 80+ Platinum. Corsair HydroH105 240mm. Corsair 16GB (2x8G) DDR4 3200MHz Vengeance LPX Black. Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD. 2 x Corsair Air AF120 120mm with White LED. 3 x Corsair Air AF140 140mm with White LED. 3 x Corsair Air SP120 120mm with White LED.

This is my first PC build and I've got my fingers crossed, but if I run into any troubles such as space issues and mounting points, etc. reckon I could contact you? It should be fine but just in case.

Cheers. I'll be uploading the build with pictures once complete.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Good to hear its going to be up and running soon, your part list sounds spot on, all grade a choices, should have no problems with them. As someone who has "mastered" the art of cable managing the 750D, jk lol, but it is a tough case to work with without a little bit of unwanted cables showing, so definitely send me a message if you have any questions about fan placement, cable management etc. with the 750D, I should be able to give you an answer. Good luck on the build mate im eager to see it!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Question: Your parts list contains 8 fans, yet I can only see 6 in your build. Am I blind, or are there 2 fans unused in your parts list?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube