add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm, I see.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

It's always a good idea to know what you're dealing with. For example, it is a good idea to know if your particular processor is Skylake, because then you would know that you can safely overclock the bus speed (BCLK).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you give us a step by step on how you research your parts?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure

First things first the CPU. I'm not a big AMD fan (no pun intended), so I don't know exactly the best CPU they have made, although I would say the AMD CPU with the fastest frequency is the FX-9590 with a 4.7 GHz up to a whopping 5 GHz. I am more Intel based, so I know pretty much the best CPUs of every generation, which is better, and which is more efficient. For example: I know the i7-6700K goes 4 GHz with 4 cores up to 4.2 GHz, while the i7-990X goes 3.43 GHz with 6 cores up to 3.73 GHz. I MAINLY use Intel ARK to research the parts. On the occasion that some information is missing, I go to TechPowerUp in their CPU database if I need anything else for the CPU, and they should have it.

Next, the Cooler. I really don't know a lot about coolers other than they use standard fan dimensions, such as 120 mm fans, 140 mm fans, dual 120 mm fans to get 240 mm, etc. Basically you want the air cooling for basic work, and liquid cooling when serious work is being done, for example, gaming, overclocking, bitcoin mining, pretty much stuff with high complexity workloads.

Next is the GPU. Again, I am not really familiar with AMD GPUs, but I know the highest end graphics cards they make: R9 Fury Nano, R9 295x2, R9 390X, etc. I am more for Nvidia because of their GeForce Control Panel. The settings they provide can make a hell of a difference when it comes to benchmarking, hence why 99% of the top benchmarks are with Nvidia cards. If you go to the GeForce website, and then hardware, you should get most of the info there. If the info is unavailable however, then I again go to TechPowerUp for the rest of the info. BTW, I have a website with my research for Intel CPUs, as well as some AMD CPUs (It is not near finished), and Graphics cards; my website shows relative performance numbers.

The Storage: Not a big difference when it comes to SSD, but I will say that the Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SATA is the fastest in the market for consumers at the time. 2.5 GB/s read, 1.5 GB/s write, that is one hell of a speed. It comes at a hell of a price too...

The Case: Doesn't really matter in the end, as long as it functions the brain of someone who doesn't know about aesthetics. When I go looking for a case, I don't go for the most "alien" looking case, nor the most simplistic looking case. Corsair has some of the best cases I have ever seen in my life. From the SPEC-Alpha, to the Carbide Clear 600C, they have very beautiful cases that are very durable and functional, the one combination that I desire.

The PSU: I go Corsair or EVGA, fully modular. That is my thoughts.

The Keyboard: My personal preference is Logitech, although for my remixing, I may need to break that rule and get a particular Corsair Keyboard (and maybe get the lapdog while at it :]), but I like both designs, a simple yet very durable design. I currently use the G105 and K120 for remixing (yes, both at the same time) side by side.

Finally the Mouse: What a cute animal, eh? JK. I go Logitech for mice, all the way. I am currently saving up to get a Logitech G303 Daedulas or whatever it is called, the G303. 12000 DPI max means I can get some serious traction right there.

Sorry for making this "comment" into a book! But I hope you learned more about me and my thought process(es) that go behind my choices of PC parts!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I know this is old, but it gave me a much needed laugh today!

Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube