add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

We have another 7700K / 1080Ti build coming up later this week, but the closest equivalent build that we tested with a 7700K that I can quickly show you right now is an mini-ITX build we did last month for a LAN party. The 1080 Ti we used in that build wasn't clocked as high as the MSI DUKE in this build, but you can see it's relative performance to our build above.

The 7800X leaves the 7700K in it's dust on CPU-intensive benchmarks, but overall gaming performance is well within reach of each other because the GPU is playing such a critical limiting role. You can see a slight FPS boost here over that system, particularly with BF1 and Wildlands that take decent advantage of the extra CPU performance, but that's also the impact of the higher clocked MSI DUKE card.

Now look back at our recent 2-Way SLI GTX 1080 / i7-7700K build and see that while two 1080's can reasonably out perform the single 1080 Ti in this build, even though the CPU (/physics) scores are significantly behind what the 7800X can hit.

So on balance, no -- the 7700K isn't going to hold back your performance, at least not with current generation games and GPUs.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, that makes a whole lot of sense. I am just trying to figure out which system to build for the long run (as you can see i had this pc for about 6 years or 7). I would like my new one to last at least a few years which is why i was considering the 7820x/7800x for a bit more futureproofing over the 7700k and if the X offers more multitasking functionality as it seems it does that also works great. Do you know if the 7820x offers better performance with Nv.2 ssds? given the pci e lanes and such

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

The 7800X and 7820X have the same number of PCIe lanes (28), but I'm not aware off hand if there's a meaningful difference between them for PCIe-based SSD performance. The primary improvements beyond the increased core count for the 7820X are the higher CPU boost clock and memory speeds.

I can definitely understand your thinking for future-proofing on the CPU side, and that ultimately comes down to how close to the bleeding edge you want to hedge your bets. Like any upgrade trade-off, you'll have to weigh the advantages versus the incremental cost. Also, since you're still interested in the enthusiast platforms and still a month or two out from building, keep an eye on AMD's X399 platform that is slated to release later this summer. It is intended to compete with Intel's X299 platform.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I will definitely be looking at the new AMD platform but so far off the leaks it seems like it is behind performance wise but then again leaks are just - leaks and not official benchmarks. And in regards to the ssd I was just asking because i am still not sure how it works, it says if a M.2 ssd is used that another slot will be disabled so I am not sure if that will affect me in anyway.. lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube