PCPartPicker

• Register

Is there a Benefit of the 3770/4770 (non k)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dschutt84 69 months ago

I understand that some people don't overclock, but for around $300 you get yourself a locked CPU. The 3570k/4670k which cost around $90 cheaper can meet a 3770/4770 multitasking speed if overclocked to 4.2-4.4.

For the people who don't overclock why not just look at a E3-1230 V2/V3? they are essentially the exact same thing just without a GPU, and costing around $60 less.

So I guess my question is, does the 3770/4770 have any benefits over the lesser other then having hyper treading (which can be eliminated with overclocking a i5)

Comments Sorted by:

vlad007 1 Build 1 point 69 months ago

Not really, they have Hyper-threading and 8MB of L3 cache instead of 6MB and that's all.

dschutt84 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 69 months ago

Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks!

danielino 1 Build 1 point 69 months ago

well idk... I never fully understood why people would save $90 for an i5 and then spend almost the same amount (if not more... for aio water coolers) they just saved, to buy a decent cpu cooler so they can overclock an go like an i7.

just buy the i7 for gods sake! :)

anyways idk about the E3 that makes you save $60 either. Cause then you do have to buy a gpu and if you want a decent one or at least as good as the intel integrated one, you end up spending around $60 anyways or more...

maybe it makes sense if you know you are going to buy a gpu anyways so you can put those $60 in an even better graphic card.

dschutt84 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 69 months ago

I agree with you but the i5 and i7 are essentially the same just without hyper threading. So having a overclocked i5 with 4 cores running faster then a i7 will run programs that don't use hyper treading better. But now since the i5 is overclocked, it will run programs that use hyper treading similar to the non overclocked i7.