add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intregrated Graphics Question

illinifan

48 months ago

Good afternoon! Quick question on integrated graphics. If my CPU has integrated graphics, does it matter if my motherboard has onboard video? Looking to build a fast $700 work computer for my grandpa. Probably going to get the Intel i7-4790 because it has the 4600 graphics onboard. By the way, here is my full part list, and other suggestions would be great! https://pcpartpicker.com/user/illinifan/saved/#view=T9cKHx Thanks in advance for the input! -illinifan

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking to build a fast $700 work computer for my grandpa.

I am highly doubting he needs a i7. Also that SSD is crap and that psu isn't good and is overpriced.

If my CPU has integrated graphics, does it matter if my motherboard has onboard video?

If the cpu has integrated graphics it will work on any motherboard that is compatible with the cpu.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

He gave me $700 and said he wants a lightning fast computer, which is why I went with the i7. I am only getting the SSD for windows, then pretty much everything else can go on the HD. Since I am not using a graphics card, is 400 watts of power not enough? I have a Corsair CX 600 in my PC and haven't had any problems.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor $107.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $82.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $34.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $164.00 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $87.51 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $552.45
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-18 15:48 EDT-0400
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate the info.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

he wants a lightning fast computer, which is why I went with the i7

That is a awful reason to get a i7 since its not going to make his PC any fast.

I am only getting the SSD for windows

That stil ldoesn't justify how awful the V300 is.

is 400 watts of power not enough? I have a Corsair CX 600 in my PC and haven't had any problems.

The issue with the CX series is the performance, build quality which is mediocre and they are usually always overpriced.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly is wrong with the v300? It has a 4-5 star rating on here. And I wouldn't consider $41 bucks overpriced for a modular PSU. I have had my PC for over a year and a half now and no problems.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly is wrong with the v300?

Its one of the slowest SSD's you can buy and is priced awfully, user ratings don't mean crap.

I wouldn't consider $41 bucks overpriced for a modular PSU

Its currently is a whooping $48, for only a few dollars more you could get a 550 watt XFX TS psu which is much better.

I have had my PC for over a year and a half now and no problems.

That doesn't make it good.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey sorry to step on your toes vagabond139, but at the bottom of the review it did say:

"On the other hand if you building a very basic machine for office work web browsing media viewing and other light task a CX is perfectly FINE!."

But I don't feel comfortable with that statement.

Now, what I would agree with though is the fact that in the JohnnyGuru quote about temps is that this unit is just too much of a hassle to deal with. Quote of the quote:

"Guys, this thing is only rated to full power at thirty degrees. I've spoken about this kind of thing before, but not for a while, so here's my position on this: I have no use for anything that can't do full power at forty degrees or better, and I review these units accordingly. Computer cases routinely see temperatures higher than thirty at the power supply intake, and this becomes more and more of an issue the further south you live, depending on whether or not you're buying this budget unit so you can afford to run the AC...."

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

"Book Keeping software, web browsing"

He definitely doesn't need an i7 or its integrated graphics. For that matter, an AMD APU would work. $700 is definitely overkill for a normal web browsing computer.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comment. Looking into the AMD APU.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

This one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad680kwohlbox is pretty good, although I'm currently using the cheapest A4 and I'm able to play most pre-2010 games easily.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd add to Vagabond's comments: the PSU isn't very good for a high-performance build, although depending on what you mean by "work computer", it should be sufficient. Still, at the price point, may as well get a better one; what I typically rattle off is EVGA (except for B1/G1), Antec, XFX, and SeaSonic.

If, by "work computer", you mean email, word processing, other everyday tasks, you can pretty much drop down to something like a Pentium or i3. If he does serious CAD, video editing, or image editing as a regular part of his work, CPU power can be beneficial, but most people won't notice the difference. What would help their experience is a good SSD, good peripherals (particularly monitor), a Blu-Ray drive, backup HDDs in a RAID configuration, a high-quality PSU to ensure long lifespan, etc.

If he does light gaming or other GPU-intensive things, I might go with an AMD APU, or maybe stick in a low-end GPU, but seriously: a Pentium will do. Maybe an i3 or AMD APU if you're being paranoid. Unless, of course, CAD or heavy-duty photo/video editing.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comment. He really doesn't do much besides use his book keeping software and browse the web. I went with an i7 because of its 3.6 ghz clock speed. My mom has an all in one with an i7 and she, along with my grandpa, love the speed of it. I am just building him one so he doesn't go buy one from dell and get screwed over $1500. Ill look into the i3 and the AMD. Thanks!

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

The thing is, the i7 probably isn't what's giving your mom her performance. CPU performance is basically irrelevant these days for everyday tasks. An SSD will help far more than a high-end CPU.

Wrote out a slightly over-budget build, with a very good monitor, aftermarket cooler to keep CPU fan noise down, 2400 MHz RAM for the odd event the integrated graphics is actually used for something (can easily knock down to DDR3-1600 or -1833), and Blu-ray drive. If you want a higher-end PSU, I'd probably recommend the EVGA GS or G2 550W model, although the performance of really high-end PSUs is mostly important for overclockers. Still, they're modular (easy cable management), and highly efficient.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $71.69 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $46.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $71.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $38.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $48.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus MX259H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor $201.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $710.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-18 15:50 EDT-0400
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate the comment. I am going to go ahead and take the i7 out and go with an AMD APU.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Plus 1 for using the H7 over the Evo212

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What does your Grandfather do, that's so graphic intensive? All on-board CPU graphics are one in the same. So dropping $300 for a Haswell chip because of it's on board GPU, is not a cost-effective point.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing graphic intensive really (Book Keeping software, web browsing), which is why I am trying to get by with integrated graphics. Would a chip with the normal 4000 series graphics be sufficient?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll steal a response from another poster here.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: still yes

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't go with an i7... Go with an i3 if he will just be web browsing or get an AMD APU if he really needs some somewhat strong integrated graphics...

The difference in web browsing on a i3 and i7 won't be noticeable. So don't bother wasting extra money on an i7.

Btw More Ghz (and Cores) doesn't mean a CPU faster all the time.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comment. I have changed up my list now, and I think I am going to go ahead and go with an AMD APU just to be safe.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-7800 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $123.50 @ Directron
CPU Cooler Silverstone AR06 40.2 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard $88.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ B&H
Monitor Acer G246HYL bmjj 60Hz 23.8" Monitor $114.99 @ Newegg
Total $679.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-19 03:19 EDT-0400
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're got $700 to spend on a non gaming Desktop, don't go AMD. Their CPUs are garbage on single core performance, which is what this Desktop will be doing. They haven't updated their CPU line in a while, and they get smoked by $70 dollar Pentium CPUs. An i7 is overkill, but you're on the right track. You could actually spend less than $700 for this build and get great performance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JCfNCJ

This PC is really solid and it only cost $545

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

With a monitor you're right back at ~$700.

Their CPUs are garbage on single core performance, which is what this Desktop will be doing.

The 4460 is about 25% faster than a quad core Kavari A10 in compute intensive comparisons that will apply to this build (less threaded workloads).

Last I checked, 25% more performance isn't a big enough difference in anything but real-time workloads to matter, so if you think the A10's performance is "garbage" then the 4460 is 80% as trashy.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

the fact that a G3250 overclocked beats pretty much any AMD card in single core performance is pretty bad. it's a $70 card

unless you're gaming with this machine, why not go for the better processor? Can you honestly say you'd rather have an AMD processor over the equivalent intel at thsi price point? intel is more powerful, efficient, and runs cooler.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you honestly say you'd rather have an AMD processor

This has nothing to do with AMD vs Intel. I don't go out of my way for a brand. I'm not trying to save the baby seals here or something. Single core performance took a back seat for most mainstream compute intensive software at least 2-3 years ago. I'm not sure why you are so concerned about single core performance in a world where there is a multi-threaded solution to almost every common workload, and now many of those solutions are ALSO openCL accelerated. (handbrake transcoding, libre office calc, just to throw out some examples)

For $120, the 65W A10-7800 is a good value CPU with a powerful on-chip graphics/co-processor. Price wise it is directly comparable to an i3 and does indeed offer i3 class execution throughput combined with a better iGPU.

The 65W A10-7800 is actually has LESS thermal density and a superior thermal interface than an i5-4460, so your claim that it runs cooler is technically incorrect. With equivalent cooling installed the A10 will run cooler. In actuality, this is a meaningless comparison as both can run well within thermal margins on stock cooling.

The A10-7800 at $120 offers 80% of the compute performance of a $180 4460 at 66% of the price, and a built in iGPU that is around TWICE as powerful as the i5's. In my eye, that makes it a great value for a general productivity computer.

Now, here's the thing. I could just as easily post a build with an i5 in it, and rationalize and argue that it is the superior choice over the A10. Both are perfectly acceptable choices here. Wouldn't it be awesome if someone posted a build with an A8 in it, someone else posted a build with an A10, someone else with an i3, and and i5, and an E3, and all of those builds had various tradeoffs and advantages or disadvantages?

We could argue about which one is superior, but the reality is that they are all good in their own way, and all deserve consideration.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

For general usage, a dual core with great single core performance is still a very valuable thing. Someone who goes on the computer to browse, use skype, listen to itunes and watch youtube will want good single core performance. it isn't until you start getting in to content creation or gaming that more cores is super important IMO. Not promoting a single core processor, but even the G3250 is still dual core. Maybe this is specific to how I use a computer, but my G3250 is snappyAF.

If I wanted a rig where I was concerned about the GPU, then yeah I would recommend the AMD because it's actually pretty decent for light gaming when set up properly. However, that's not the point of this computer, so it leaves us with more money for the processor, so why not take advantage of that? The 80% you're talking about is important in this case since it's future proofing the PC to a greater extent.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

the fact that a G3250 overclocked beats pretty much any AMD card in single core performance is pretty bad. it's a $70 card

the fact that a [FX-8320E] overclocked beats pretty much any [Intel CPU under $200] in [multi] core performance is pretty bad. it's a [$130 cpu]

This is a 2 way street ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube