• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dschutt84 67 months ago

Been hearing this wondering if anyone else has any other information? Seem's like Broadwell is going to be a different then the Sandy/Ivy/Haswell architecture thus a reason for a new socket.

Comments Sorted by:

LeMonarque 3 Builds 3 points 67 months ago

I've been hearing this too, but it's all just rumors right now. There does seem to be some sense to the rumors though.

It's suspected that Broadwell chips will still use 1150 pins in the socket but won't electrically be compatible with current Z87 motherboards because Intel is moving voltage regulation back to the chipset.

The suspected motive is because going from Ivy to Haswell, voltage regulation was moved on-chip to the CPU, which apparently is why the temperatures for Haswell are so high. So to solve this heat issue, they're just moving it back. But since the Z87 chipset wasn't designed to have voltage regulation on the motherboard, current boards won't be able to support Broadwell CPU's because the system would then lack voltage regulation.

But still, that's all speculation...

dschutt84 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 67 months ago

That's pretty much exactly what I heard as well. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

swagnuggets123 1 point 67 months ago

This is also what i heard

[comment deleted]
LeMonarque 3 Builds 1 point 67 months ago

Rumors. Speculation. Forum-talk.

Already stated.

No source. Links scattered.

Obvious.

JoeyThePCNoob 2 Builds 1 point 67 months ago

When do you think Broadwell will be coming out...9-12 months.

No idea, but from what i have seen from rumors is around a year from now. AMD needs to step up there game to bring some competition. Ivy-bridge E is a good idea why they probably wont be releasing broadwell for a while. Sandy-bridge e was actually 8 core processors but since AMD never released anything to compete they disabled 2 cores. Ivy-bridge e doesn't have those extra 2 cores on the die at all. So it all depends on what AMD does next.

BC1096 1 point 67 months ago

The speculation makes sense but at the same time it's a huge dive. Killing off a socket after one gen is rather odd, plus it would break the tradition of having two gens per socket (Ivy/Sandy for 1155, Haswell/Broadwell 1150, Ivy-E/Sandy-E 2011). But the supposed reasons have good logic in them. Hard to tell now

1136,1156 were one hit wonders. Intel has done it before.

panzergrenadier 2 points 67 months ago

1150 is dying already? damn. good thing i never got a socket 1150 cpu

LeMonarque 3 Builds 1 point 67 months ago

Two generations per socket has never been tradition. More like a perk for certain generations.

10kVolts 1 point 67 months ago

It generally does happen, only a couple of sockets have lasted for more than 1 generation of processors, the rest tend to be superseded by the next generation.

Honestly it makes sense to advance in technology. I really do think most people don't buy a processor to upgrade in year (Unless its Bulldozer to Piledriver). Usually people might upgrade a GPU but not the processor, and by the time you need a upgrade you are upgrading the entire system with new parts (MB/GPU/CPU/RAM).

Think about a 2500k to a 3570k which you can upgrade too. Total cost of +/- $440 for a %10 increase. OC could limit that gap if you really need that extra %10. But if you were to just buy a 3930k instead of the upgrade path you are still better off. I cant see a i5 coming anywhere close to the performance of a 3930k for years.

The gap between a p67/z68 vs a z77 is a better upgrade then a 2500k vs 3570k.

10kVolts 1 point 67 months ago

Yeah honestly if you buy a CPU now it'll last you a good 5 years, I only just upgraded from my first gen i7 and even then the performance difference wasn't substantial.