add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

970 or r9 390 for 1080p

Alpha41190

48 months ago

Which card would be better for just 1080p gaming don't plan on going above with either of these cards does the 8gb perform better on the r9 390 then the 3.5gb on the gtx 970

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I would suggest taking r9 390. It performs slightly better than gtx 970, also it has a lot more ram, which will be used a lot in future games even on 1080p.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thx I'm thinking of the MSI variant is that a good one

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, It's pretty decent.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

390 pros: 1. ~10% higher framerate (not really all that much) w/o antialiasing @ 1080p 2. Eyefinity 3. Significantly better performance w/ antialiasing thanks to higher VRAM

970 pros: 1. Lower TDP 2. Nvidia gameworks runs better

Personally I'd grab the 390.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

which ever you can get for lowest price. they're about the same at 1080p. If you plan on doing moderate to heavy modding then go for the 390.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh boy, here we go.

The 390 has slightly better raw performance at the exchange of much higher power consumption. This difference is virtually nonexistent in games. That's the gist of it.

Many more games support the features Nvidia offers, so I would go with that, but if you don't mind giving them up, just get whichever is cheaper.

3.5GB is still plenty for most games at 1080p, even future games.

It should be noted that if you might upgrade to a higher resolution monitor, the 390 excels in comparison to the 970 at resolutions above 1080p.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

You seem to know your stuff. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SnowFlakeZ/saved/fHkYcf I plan to play games like gta and bethesda games. Maybe some fps but im not a big fan of those. What do you think would suit me best 970 or 390

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

In GTA V, I believe both cards will perform about the same, but in Fallout 4, Nvidia has the edge. I don't know if it's still around, but there used to even be a bug with AMD drivers that would break certain portions of the HUD.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

the artifacting compass was the problem in crimson. Its been fixed. or at least it was fixed the last time i had crimson installed

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Which card would be better for just 1080p gaming

I would say it depends on what games you play, what processor you're using, and what your performance and visual quality goals are.

If you have a modern strong-core Intel chip and intend to play at 60HZ ultra as often as possible, the R9 390 may be the favored option overall, however, if you have a CPU with older core architecture you may be better off with Nvidia's DirectX implementation.

The more often you are compute bound, the better nvidia will do compared to AMD.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a similar question for a build on x99 with three 1200p monitors. I don't think either is very good for games on all three monitors but what will be better if I plan on using it for 3D and multimedia work and three monitors and game on one monitor?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube