add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Accessing a folder in old HDD

DavidLit

48 months ago

I just built a new computer with a new SSD and my old HDD. I installed everything on my SSD and now I'm trying to transfer some files from my HDD to my SSD. The folder I'm trying to access is Users\My user. I get a message saying I dont have permission to access it. I can't just change permissions because it's not a regular folder. What should I do to be able to access it?

Thank you.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Log in as admin > right-click folder, hit properties > security > change permissions

I think that should work.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't do that because it's not a regular folder. It says I need administrator permission to be able to see the folder security. I tried going to the previous folder and changing permissions like you said. I got a ton of messages saying X folders couldn't be changed. I could access the few I wanted so I guess it's alright. Thank you.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Some subfolders are never accessible in the Users folders (not even for administrators) and I don't know why. The only ones that have what you ever access are the ones that you CAN access. I think that might be the error message it's throwing out.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a Windows folder from my old computer.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube