add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer degree/software.

Blackops010
  • 49 months ago

I'm only 15 but I have a huge interest in building/fixing computers. I'm looking into a double major of computer engineering and electrical engineering. I'm also interesting in software, and I know nothing in this space. I don't even know java, but I'm learning. Does anyone know some good degrees/paths for building/fixing pcs? Or should I go to the software side and look into programming/debugging? Thanks. Also any in-depth information on these degrees would be amazing.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Does anyone know some good degrees/paths for building/fixing pcs

There are no real well paying jobs doing this. If it is what you want to do, forget college and just get a 2 year associates degree in computer engineering. Have fun making no money ever.

The real way to have a career with computers is software development. Meaning programming. You will get a CompSci degree and then work as a Java/Python dev for some company and make alot of money.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks Ill look into it. I'm interested in both of those languages anyways.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are the ones you will learn in college. They are the main 2 used.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks. Will I have any advantages learning them now? Besides my own happiness.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Umm, your college courses will come a bit more naturally, but other than that no. Definitely not a bad thing to do, but don;t expect it to give you a huge leg up or anything.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't expect that. It will probably depend on if I have to spend a lot of money learning it before hand. Thanks for the information.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Knowing programming and coding helps a lot. Honestly school is a complete waste of both time and money. Certifications and experience is where it's at.

These are great money makers, aside from what you mentioned:

Linux Administration / Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Engineer / Administration Network Administrator Cyber security analyst

You will learn a little bit of Java C++, at least I did my Associates, but it's rather basic "if than else" statements.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Knowing programming and coding helps a lot. Honestly school is a complete waste of both time and money. Certifications and experience is where it's at.

Ehh. Kind of. Your whole life earning potential will be lower without a degree. Yes you can learn everything without school but it isn't a great idea. I went to school with people who started at 100k a year with no certs or anything, just a degree and I also have friends (one in particular) who is fluent in basically every current language, with TONS of certs but is struggling to find anything that pays over 45k and routinely gets turned down for having only a 2 year degree.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I shouldn't say a degree is COMPLETELY useless because, well, that's just not true. It's a shame though, that now a days HS is (gearing towards) teaching kids enough that by the time they graduate they already have an associates level of education in computing.

I know plenty in my field who have bachelor's but still work jobs that don't pay, so it can vary (location may be a factor).

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

location may be a factor

This. It all depends on why you work for. My most successful right-out-of-school friend started at $135k and someone else in his class was hired by a different company on the other side of the USA for the SAME EXACT position and title and he only started at $65k.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, marketing yourself is a big big big factor!

If a company is struggling to fill a position (because we are money driven), and 'Joe' comes by qualified, they're going to want him. If Joe doesn't like the pay, he will decline and say he has better offers elsewhere. This company will work to get Joe onboard.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube