add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer degree/software.

Blackops010
  • 46 months ago

I'm only 15 but I have a huge interest in building/fixing computers. I'm looking into a double major of computer engineering and electrical engineering. I'm also interesting in software, and I know nothing in this space. I don't even know java, but I'm learning. Does anyone know some good degrees/paths for building/fixing pcs? Or should I go to the software side and look into programming/debugging? Thanks. Also any in-depth information on these degrees would be amazing.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 4 points

There isn't much of a career in build/fixing PCs - unless you start your own business - then you should have a business major, or economics - something like that - because it is a matter or correctly pricing the builds/repairs bases on all the other factors - such as capital goods, inventory, personnel, leasing, insurance....

Computer Engineering and Software Engineering are two very different paths - with some overlap. The Computer Engineering will lead you down the path of circuit design - ohm's law, Thevenin's theorem, power's law. Software Engineering will take you down a path of obviously learning Java, C# and others, but also the abstract side of software design.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

This, basically.

I'd add that if you're going to try and make a career in working with hardware, you'll want to learn Networking.

I'd also recommend getting into Software because I think it's one of the best careers to get into. Learn HTML and CSS and go build yourself a website for fun. It'll teach you a lot. Then add some cool JavaScript to it. This will be a big paradigm shift from HTML/CSS, but it'll broaden your horizons.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Which one would be a better career $ wise. Also I want to get both majors eventually. Do you think that's a wise decision? I'm interested in software since I know a lot about building PC and a little of fixing. Thanks for the information I did not know that much about each degree.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm guessing, but I think the two fields are close as far as $$$. Go to glassdoor.com and look at the salary reviews for different engineering positions.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thank you

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Carey Holzman does well in his computer business.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

don't know about that

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

He's been doing it for many years now so I'd say it's going rather well.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

He's doing it right.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree here. Corporate networking or server management might be a way to make a career in "computer repair" but it's more complex than that. You'd be looking for degrees in networking and infrastructure.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Or a certificate or something like that in addition to a software/computer degree. I think there are some courses along the lines of "Microsoft Certified Network Engineer".

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I must respectfully disagree.

I wouldn't advise a 15 year old that they could make a full blown career with just certificates. Some folks have done it but given a fresh start, I'd always suggest at least a BS degree. As an addition to a BS degree - sure! But a certification, in my opinion, can't replace a degree. Not in this marketplace.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

"Or a certificate or something like that in addition to a software/computer degree. "

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thank you. Ill look into it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube