add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard VS Asus Sabertooth z170 S

aero29
  • 48 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-rogmaximusviiiheroalpha

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-sabertoothz170s

Its hard to find a comparison for these two MOBO's which one do you guys prefer and why?

• Thanks!

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The Hero is slightly better at OCing and sound while the Sabertooth is slightly better in terms of available ports quality and gaming performance.

The difference is VERY minimal however between the 2 motherboards in benchmarks.

http://motherboardbenchmark.net/asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1/

http://motherboardbenchmark.net/asus-maximus-viii-hero/

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a z170 sabertooth baord. I really dig it. I haven't been able to do a lot with it as its got place holder parts all over the place.

The board did come with a Hyper M.2 x4 mini card. I paired it with a samsung 950 512 and it fricken flies. Also have one on the board itself. Was an unexpected surprise.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

On my desk right next to my monitors. Rig isn't posted because it isn't complete. I have a parts list going called potential upgrade p1 where I've marked off parts and added the prices I paid.

Enjoy

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It was actually a series of events that brought about an upgrade. I wound up rma'ing one of the 290 cards. To pull the card I had to drain and pull the water cooling setup. At that point I decided to do my yearly maintenance while I waited for the replacement card. I finished and got board (hehe sorry). So In the mean time I decided to sell off some of my excess computer parts. Among the parts list were 2 additional z77 Sabertooth boards. I Got a good deal for three a few years back before they went out of production but I wound up never doing anything with two of them. To my utter surprise both boards sold for over $175... Ridiculous. For that kind of cash I just decided to sell my main Sabertooth board and the 3770k. Board sold for $185 and CPU sold for $255. After that I decided to part out the rest of my system. I wound up getting way more than I had ever expected. So I got a few new computer parts and put the rest away for the kids.

I don't plan on getting pascal cards. For one I have three free-sync monitors and for another I can get fury x cards between $425 and $450 (got one, waiting on the second). With that price twin fury x's are only a couple hundred more than a gtx 1080, but provided better performance. Plus I can still utilize my free sync monitors.

I'll hold out for a year or two and see how HBM2 cards perform and go from there.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a complete custom loop. Both r9s have koolance water blocks connected with a custom koolance water bridge.

My old rig

Almost immediately after it got featured I got embarrassed by the sloppy layout. I removed the hard drive cage and mounted it up in the 5.25 bay. I mounted the pump/reservoir to the back of the case, replaced all the fittings with koolance fittings, and replaced all the acrylic tubing with PETG tubing. Also did some other work to clean up the appearance.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

This build will only have the two 950s for storage. My wife and I have a pretty massive nas connected to our gigabit home network. Since storage isn't all that important and the Sabertooth board came with a nice little m.2 pcie card I decided to stay with two 512 cards.

I absolutely detest AIO GPUs. I know they serve a good purpose, but they are bulky and imo clutter up a computer even with good cable management. I have water blocks for the furys already on the way.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for all the input guys. but if you click the link I am actually comparing the "WHITE" asus sabertooth z170 S and not the mark 1 ver.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I purchased the Asus Z170 Sabertooth S last night, and can't wait to put it together. I've done almost 2 months of research on motherboards, but it came down to color scheme and I love the all white the Sabertooth provides. =) Picked up the last one at my local microcenter.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks nice actually! Still has the tuf armor! I'll check it out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube