add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So, I accidentally bought 2 980ti's on eBay...

confuzledandlost

41 months ago

Hey guys, I really wanted to get the community's input on a situation I just found myself in... Long story short I found myself with two Zotac AMP! Extreme 980ti's from eBay (one for $380 and one for $390) I originally only meant to get one due to the plummeting prices but ended up winning the bid on both because of some timing issues. So now I've found myself at a bit of a crossroads, do I build a PC with the two monster sized 980ti's and rock an overpowered PC or do I sell one of the 980ti's (for about the same price that I got it) and use that money to get a CPU+PSU. Thoughts?

I'll be gaming at ultra-maxed out settings on a 1440p 60hz monitor so one 980ti should theoretically be fine but I also have a 4K TV and plan on getting a 4K (or high refresh rate 1440p) monitor in the future.

Now that I have the 2 980ti's it's really more of a "Should I spring for a monster build or should I just use one card?" type of situation. I'm fine with building a high end pc ($1,000+) around the two cards but I wonder if it would make more sense to sell one of them and use the money from the card to buy some of the components and make something more modest.

Here's what I put together, the first build is with the 2 980ti's...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $96.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard EVGA Z170 Classified K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $249.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $82.98 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card (2-Way SLI) Purchased For $380.00
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card (2-Way SLI) Purchased For $390.00
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $119.79 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $134.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1693.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 02:09 EDT-0400

Here's a build with just the single 980ti...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $96.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard EVGA Z170 FTW ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $193.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card Purchased For $380.00
Case Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case $97.59 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1166.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 02:10 EDT-0400

I already have some SSD's I'm going to use that have an OS on them already when I make the build so I didn't put those on there.

To SLI or not SLI? Just looking for some quick feedback on this guys, want to make sure I'm not nuts lol Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recommend avoiding the G1 series, they aren't good and are overpriced for what you get. I would go for a Corsair RMx/RMi or a Evga G2/P2 (just avoid the kilowatt+ models of them if you care about noise at all).

I would just keep both of them if you can afford to do so and don't mind the downsides of SLI.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm basically a skrub when it comes to SLI and Crossfire so take this with a grain of salt but won't that i5-6600k (even overclocked) bottleneck TWO 980 Ti's? I guess it might not since it doesn't bottleneck a Gtx 1080, but idk if you sell one of the 980's you could definitely get a better CPU. Also the TV will probably have pretty high latency and be unplayable. I vote for 1440p 144hz!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input!

I've seen benchmarks that were identical between 1 and 2 980ti's so I'm not too worried about bottlenecking lol Also, I game on my 4K tv right now (via PC and PS4) and it's totally fine, great for couch gaming!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

won't that i5-6600k (even overclocked) bottleneck TWO 980 Ti's?

Bottlenecking doesn't work like that, there is no yes or no answer to a general question like that.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it certainly depends on the situation but if you are trying to push game engines at 1440p with two 980 Ti's there is definitely potential for limitations due to that CPU hindering the 980's. I'm just pointing out that the system doesn't appear very balanced. Will it bottleneck him in the sense that the games will be unplayable? Of course not. But depending on the game he could potentially see frame drops (never below 60 fps) if the two GPU's are throwing too much information at the CPU. Basically, i'm just pointing out that if a bottleneck occurs the issue will be with the 6600k.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it certainly depends on the situation but if you are trying to push game engines at 1440p with two 980 Ti's there is definitely potential for limitations due to that CPU hindering the 980's.

And there is definitely potential for it not be bottlenecked. Bottlenecking all depends on the game, graphical settings, and the FPS you want.

I'm just pointing out that the system doesn't appear very balanced.

There is no such thing as a mythical balance, it should be balanced to your needs, not others. Just about every CPU and GPU is valid provided you are happy with it/it meets your needs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube