add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Clock Speed and SLI

FireFox500

38 months ago

I am planning on doing an SLI build far in the future and I was wondering if your CPU clock speed will heavily affect the performance of your GPUs. I.E If I have a processor with a 4.0 GHz and one with 4.7GHz will the 4.0 get fewer frames than the 4.7GHz cpu? If I had a 3.6GHz and a 4.7GHz, will that provide a noticeable gap in fps?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Not usually. If anything its a small difference

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

That is by far the fastest response I've ever had, thank you very much!

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

:)

I'm here to help!

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Which particular processors and video cards are you considering? If I understand your question correctly, both a good processor and a good video card are necessary to have a high frame rate. It also depends on how you'll use your computer. Some uses would not be bottlenecked by a Celeron, while other uses would be bottlenecked by a Broadwell-E.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am looking to SLI 1080s (or whatever top of the line cards NVIDIA or AMD come out with by then that aren't priced like a Titan) and I am also looking at an i7-6800K (or whatever AMD/Intel put out in the future), a 6 core processor especially as it would give me great flexibility for what I can do with my PC down the road. I wish to game at 7680x1440 (3 2560x1440p monitors side by side) as well as put an LG 34UC88-B (3440x1440p) up top for auxiliary (monitoring temps, processes, etc). By the time this PC gets built I hope to use it in professional applications such as 3d modeling or video editing.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Damn, 1080SLI... might need a REALLY beefy CPU for that. The i5 actually bottlenecks the GTX 1080 a lot, an i7 barely. But 2, I don't know, you might need to OC it like crap or get a cheaper dual xeon.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Dual CPU boards I don't really like the look of dual CPUs in general. The builds I've seen with dual 1080s have mostly 6700Ks with a few higher core models. I do not think it will be bottlenecked by a 6700K or higher as their frame throughput is very very high and even with slower frame feeders like the 6950X (slower clock, more cores) can do very well.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

OK

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, hyperthreading is OK but that processor still only has 6 cores. Maybe try... Idk, wait for zen.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Or Kaby Lake.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Kaby Lake is a refresh, I would wait for zen... I seriously don't know!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Kaby Lake is a refresh of Skylake because Intel is having trouble with their smaller Cannonlake architecture. Same occurred with Haswell Refresh which was because Intel was having trouble with their smaller Broadwell architecture. Constantly getting smaller.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am sincerely hoping AMD either matches Intel or hands Intel their *** with Zen as AMD has been very out of the CPU market lately and if they kick it back into gear and start making some competition the market will get some cool technology faster but right now Intel can hang back and wait for AMD to take a shot at them without making too many advances. I hope the same for NVIDIAs new GPUs and AMD Vega.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Same. I'm pretty sure Intel is holding back to let them take the market, as this is such a crucial time in the tech era and we are in need of competition to drive interest forward!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I am looking to SLI 1080s (or whatever top of the line cards NVIDIA or AMD come out with by then that aren't priced like a Titan)

The GTX 1080 is currently the best video card performance-wise on the market until August's release of the Titan P, but you specified that you did not want a Titan.

and I am also looking at an i7-6800K (or whatever AMD/Intel put out in the future),

I recommend an i7-6850K or i7-6950X for rendering. The i7-6800K is not quite as good.

a 6 core processor especially as it would give me great flexibility for what I can do with my PC down the road.

Look for Intel's Extreme Edition processors. All of Intel's Extreme Edition processors, including Broadwell-E, include 6 or more cores. The i7-6950X, which is the top of the line for Broadwell-E, has 10 cores.

I wish to game at 7680x1440 (3 2560x1440p monitors side by side) as well as put an LG 34UC88-B (3440x1440p) up top for auxiliary (monitoring temps, processes, etc).

You will want two GTX 1080's with a NVIDIA HB bridge as well as an upper end Broadwell-E processor for that...

By the time this PC gets built I hope to use it in professional applications such as 3d modeling or video editing.

That would take up a lot of resources (CPU, GPU, etc.). As well as what I mentioned earlier, you may also need upwards of 16-32 GB of RAM, depending on your usage. In some cases, even 64 GB.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6850K is 150$ more than the 6800K and all it provides is a .2GHz more in clock speed and another 12 PCI-E lanes. This does not seem worth it as even 6700Ks can do SLI relatively well with a mere 16 PCI-E lanes. I am not very sure what this rig will be used for but I plan to have it when I get older to be a do anything (not so much go anywhere) PC. I will most likely edit the current parts list to fit the new tech that releases as time goes on. Depending on what the future brings I may upgrade the list to something like an extreme edition but I don't think it will ever get to a point where I need that. Here is a link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMHCbj (it's an entire setup, not just a PC, that is why the price is so high).

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6850K is 150$ more than the 6800K and all it provides is a .2GHz more in clock speed and another 12 PCI-E lanes. This does not seem worth it as even 6700Ks can do SLI relatively well with a mere 16 PCI-E lanes.

You don't need it. The i7-6800K has a slightly better value than the i7-6850K.

I am not very sure what this rig will be used for but I plan to have it when I get older to be a do anything (not so much go anywhere) PC.

Does "anything" include rendering and editing?

I will most likely edit the current parts list to fit the new tech that releases as time goes on.

Like Kaby Lake as well as the Titan P/1080 Ti.

Depending on what the future brings I may upgrade the list to something like an extreme edition but I don't think it will ever get to a point where I need that.

Unless you need to do rendering or extreme gaming, you shouldn't need an i7-6950X. The i7-6800K is actually part of Intel's Broadwell-E lineup, which is their latest Extreme Edition.

Here is a link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JMHCbj (it's an entire setup, not just a PC, that is why the price is so high).

This would be my version:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $426.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $409.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive $309.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $279.99 @ B&H
Storage Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $279.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) -
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) -
Case NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case $136.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $177.98 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair ML120 Pro 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan $27.91
Case Fan Corsair ML140 Pro 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan $32.61
Monitor Dell U2515H 25.0" 60Hz Monitor $348.98 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse $55.99 @ Best Buy
Headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK Headset $245.22 @ Amazon
Speakers Bose Companion 2 Series III 0W 2ch Speakers $99.00 @ Adorama
Other Velcro Cable Management Straps $4.43
Other DX Racer Red/Black Sentinel Series Gaming Chair $459.99
Other Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire $169.99
Other Ikea Haellestad Countertop $109.00
Other Ikea Haellestad Countertop $109.00
Other Ikea Alex White Drawer Unit $79.00
Other Signum Cable Management Rack $10.00
Other Anker 60W 6-Port USB Charger $29.99
Other SuperNight 16.4ft 300LED 5050 Lighting Strip + 24 Key Remote $20.88
Other Vipamz Extended Gaming Mouse Pad $11.99
Other Anker Powerline+ Micro USB Cable $9.99
Other Blue Yeti Microphone - Blackout $124.99
Other EZM Pyramid Deluxe Quad Monitor Stand $119.95
Other Belkin 12-Outlet Pivot-Plug Surge Protector with 8-Foot Cord $33.37
Other LG 34UC88-B 34-Inch 21:9 Ultrawide QHD IPS Monitor $854.87
Other CableMod Black/Red Sleeved Cables $199.70
Other Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-3200 Red $179.99
Other Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-3200 Red $179.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $6645.74
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $6615.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 19:24 EDT-0400

I actually swapped out some of the parts for better quality or higher performing parts and added a top of the line SSD and a two top of the line HDDs and it's still less expensive than the original.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I currently have 1TB Samsung 850 Evo, thus there was no storage listed. I was thinking about M.2 eventually. I gotta ask, why two 6TB drives? I guess for pure expandability it would be good. The board I was looking at had amazing looks and I am REALLY hoping Skylake-X gives a board like that that doesn't have RGB that's ROG Rampage as it is one of the best looking I've ever seen. I cannot find a red and black X99 motherboard that is just red and black (most have hints of grey). I was looking at the Strix cards in place of my MSI ones but I was a little skeptical of 3 ROG logos (1 on board and 2 on cards) and the red aesthetic is something I really want (currently have an MSI card and I love the look), The RGB backplate is also "meh". I think the reason it's not as expensive is because the video cards don't have prices. Lol, "anything" would mean any job or project I could need to do. I am a long way off of a career and whatever I decide to do I want a PC to do whatever I would need and not knowing what I'll use is why I decided not to dive into a 1700$ X-Edition. I think I will be waiting to build this much longer than 1080Ti and Titan P, I can only hope that a GPU with 1080+ performance will be available when I do get around to purchasing this. The same goes for the CPU, by the time I build this there will hopefully be even better 6 core options.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube