add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why to have HD and SSD in a build?

anthoo19
  • 45 months ago

Question is in the title. im building a new computer and i planned to keep my old HHD. is it possible?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

of course its plausible. Although older hard drives (esp.) are particularly prone to age, and it may show when you try to use it (ie slower performance, a glaring 'bottleneck' in terms of the total computer usage by you )

Its all subjective of course

People like suggesting both an hdd and a ssd because its pretty optimum in both storage capacity and speeds, at a lower price (versus sshd), with the viable setup of having two storage devices, say if you wanted to replace your hdd with another, it'd be pretty simple when you have your os on an ssd

its pretty cheap imho too, just ~$70-80 for 120gigs ssd and an 1tb hdd isn't too pricey

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Keeping your old HDD is certainly possible.

A majority of SSD's, I'd venture to say any you'd buy right now come with their own proprietary data migration software (often using Acronis true image technology), or a license for Acronis true image migration.

Keep in mind some software may require you to clone the HDD in it's entirety to the SSD, meaning the SSD must be the same size as the HDD, not just the used space. As far as I'm aware, both Samsung's and Acronis's data migration tools that can allow you to migrate only the used space, or even just the partitions you want.

What size is your HDD, how much of it is used up, and what's the price range you are thinking for an SSD?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Its 368g and i only use 54 right now. for the price range id say the lowest possible and can i had it later or its better to set it in when i'll build my new pc?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

... can i had it later ...

? Yes, you can add the SSD at a later date.

... its better to set it in when i'll build my new pc?

Yes, unless you have the time/desire to clean install the operating system into the SSD and delete the OS from the HDD.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a friendly advice (really not trolling): please write correctly.

• that's not HHD or HD, its HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • it's not 368g (386 gram) but the capacity is 386 GB (giga byte)

If you will need to communicate in a workplace, people will think you are a professional. With these mistakes, they will not.

(I would not address grammar, as I'm not a native English speaker.)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

i really know nothing about computers and also about english. I'm making an effort to write in english.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Then do not worry. We're here to learn. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube