add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What are speeds you should have to record videos

CoopBro
  • 45 months ago

I've been messing around with OBS and finally got some settings that I can manage that has good quality, but of course it takes up a lot of storage

I have been using my SSD to write it to, but I'll run out of space really soon, but when I try my HDD there's stuttering, and I am assuming it's because my speeds are low that it can't keep up

I want to know what speeds I should have to write the videos (wow wording, I can't do better phrasing that)

I am doing 1080p 30 FPS for the most part, files are about 1 GB per minute

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You could use obs to record to the ssd with little to no compression then use handbrake to compress it into a manageable size (a good dvd rip from handbrake is usually around 1gb for the whole thing depending on encoding settings, you will of course lose some quality when encoding)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm that could be a good option, I also though about recording onthe SSD then moving into the HDD later, plus I'll probavly upload a video to YouTube and see how much it conpresses it so i don't waste too much unnecessary space

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

YouTube uses a lot of compression, but it won't compress the file on your computer, only their servers soit would still be a good idea to transcode it

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I meant that I want to find the right amount of quality where it's similar to how much it is conpressed on YouTube so I cam save space on my HDD

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The presets in handbrake are aranged by speed of encoding. The more time you let it take the smaller the file will be and the better quality the encode will be

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I can easily have that run over night as well as during school, I'll have maybe an hour or two to tinker with that, school's hit me like a bus

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried Handbrake and my god... it turned a 2.5 gig file into a 750 MB one...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

If you upload a 500 MB video (example), that is the size youtube will get it as. You need to find the right combination for compression and format to get this smaller size processed on your hard drive. Then this file is then uploaded to youtube.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That was the plan to do

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Recommended upload encoding settings

Recommended video bitrates for uploads
1080p 8 Mbps 30fps =8000 kilobit/sec

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe I was tired, but right now it seems stutter free :I

Just gonna record a bit more and see how that is

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to check once I get home, I think my bitrate is about 11000, or 3500

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh?

I am a noob here, but 12500 kbps means 1562.5 kBps (kilo Bytes / secs) which is 1.52587890625 MBps. An average HDD can do 100 MB/s no problems (and even more).

So if you have even less than this, I don't understand what can cause stutters if rendered on HDD instead on SSD.

I must be looking at it the wrong way...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I am pretty bogged down with homework tonight after 2 hours of practicing as well as missing 2 classes to get my braces removed (yay) I should have plenty of time tomorrow though

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

http://imgur.com/a/DVndD

I made a GIF showing my settings

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I am tapping my CPU, also I problem was my game wasn't able to keep up, so that was the stuttering I was noticing, but I think I'll still record on my SSD then compress it then transfer it over to my HDD and I could probably just delete the footage and keep the compressed version

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what you should be using for rendering:

OBS can now use nvidia GPU encoder
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/711231/obs-can-now-use-nvidia-gpu-encoder/

Do you have a conflict of 3 parts of your hardware with OBS?? In your settings, what hardware is encoding and rendering your video? 1-CPU? 2-CPU Intel HD Graphics 530 , or 3-Your GPU 9800?

enable your video card hardware decoder your over all process will give you much better results in quality, speed, processing, and less stress on your system.

Your HD 530 can render better than your 9800. I would have to look that up. A 960 would process your video in minutes, not "overnight" processing.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what you should be using for rendering: OBS can now use nvidia GPU encoder https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/711231/obs-can-now-use-nvidia-gpu-encoder/

I'm not too sure what encoding is, but my GPU is constantly at 100% load when gaming, so I don't think that will be am option, it was recommended by every video I watched about what settings to choose. I just ordered a new GPU

Do you have a conflict of 3 parts of your hardware with OBS?? In your settings, what hardware is encoding and rendering your video? 1-CPU? 2-CPU Intel HD Graphics 530 , or 3-Your GPU 9800? enable your video card hardware decoder your over all process will give you much better results in quality, speed, processing, and less stress on your system.

I have no idea, I thibk my CPU is encoding, and my 9800 GT is just the thing powering the display

Your HD 530 can render better than your 9800. I would have to look that up. A 960 would process your video in minutes, not "overnight" processing.

Rendering? I didn't think I was rendering, only recording and compressing, and compressing takes maybe 15 minutes

These terms are just out my knowledge of computers and I haven't rwally put the efoort into learning it yet, sorry for being such a noob at this

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

My read and write speeds of my HDD are 175 MB/s and 147 MB/s according to a benchmark I ran

SSD is 536 and 433

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube