add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2 SSD Configuration

MegaMexican
  • 45 months ago

So my upcoming build I'm going for should have 2 SSDs, this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F8H99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzv5p512bw and this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam (Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive and Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive) I've been told that the NVMe drive is faster than the 2.5" SATA drive so I was thinking about having my OS on the NVMe drive. Now here's the question: what should I put on each drive? Will it be better for me to put my games (mostly Steam games) on the faster drive with the OS or will that significantly shorten the lifespan of that SSD? I'm pretty sure that I should place my extra files like music, docs, pics, etc. on the 2.5" drive but that drive has a little less space. Is there anyone out there that has a similar configuration to this that would have any recommendations?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been told that the NVMe drive is faster than the 2.5" SATA drive so I was thinking about having my OS on the NVMe drive.

That is correct because the NVMe (M.2 in this case) interface is faster than SATA for data processing.

Now here's the question: what should I put on each drive?

I'd recommend using the 950 PRO as your boot and operating system drive and your 850 Evo for your frequently used files and such.

Will it be better for me to put my games (mostly Steam games) on the faster drive with the OS or will that significantly shorten the lifespan of that SSD?

SSDs usually have quite long lifespans and everyday gaming will not write to your SSD. Since SSD lifespan is mainly based on read/write cycles and the games will not write very much to the SSD, you should be fine and that should not shorten the lifespan of your SSD.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thanks for all information. It really helped me out!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube