add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Single SSD or SSD and HDD?

henryc13
  • 43 months ago

Hey guys,

I am completely new to PC building and am trying to finish up my first build. When it comes to SSD and HDD I know the difference between the two and I was going to buy a small SSD and just have a 500GB HDD for storage. If I ended up buying the Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive do you think that I would still need to buy the HDD or would this SSD be enough? As always, I love to hear input on anything and everything that could help me out. I am using this PC for high end gaming if that helps.

Thanks again PCPP!

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

It honestly depends on your personal usage. I personally don't use much space when i'm not saving videos on my computer for data basing purpose (Don't know, like to have copies of things I like not on the Internet). I also have about 15 large games installed and have not used up 500GB (I actually do have the 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd combo). It depends on you, but if you get a 500gb ssd now, most likely by the time you have it filled, you have money for a hdd to go along with it and have the best of both worlds (unless you do video encoding and have large files).

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry it took so long to see this, but do you think that having the 250 GB SSD is enough to run my OS fast and then having the 1TB is enough memory? What would be the best of both worlds that you mentioned? This is one of the last things that I am deciding on before I buy all my parts. Thanks!!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

250GB SSD is plenty for the OS and a few games. Even the largest Windows installation does not take up more than 85gb and that was a few years back when it took up even that much. By the best of both worlds, I meant mass storage space and a fast OS plus select programs. A 250 GB SSD coupled with a 1TB HDD should be perfect.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

alright thanks boss!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Depend how big file you need to store. Currently i am using 480GB SSD and 1tb HDD. I think 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD should work for you.

SSD for OS and HDD for Storing your all files and installing Games!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks boss!

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube