add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving OS to SSD

Variable.variables
  • 43 months ago

A while ago, I built a computer with a 2 TB HDD, and I want to add an SSD for the OS sometime in the near future. How would I go about this in such as way as to not delete anything currently on my HDD? If I just did a clean install of Win 10 on the SSD, would I have to re-download all of my programs or just re-install them? Thanks.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Two possible solutions:

1- Many drive companies offer migration tools -- to keep it short, whichever manufacturer you pick, look at their websites for it.

2- If your new drive has equal/more capacity, backup the entire drive (read: all partitions, not individual) and restore to the new one. Windows should easily adapt to the change once it boots up. This can be tricky with the wrong tool, but I suggest you look at Acronis TrueImage, for example ... just use the 30-day trial to get what you need done, and carry on. ;)

Just throwing it out there -- I've heard it's possible to install your OS on the new drive and then squash the partition with your old one -- but I've never tried it myself, and I don't know if the boot manager will complain. Sounds risky, I wouldn't try it.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube