add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dedicated Steam storage

Matnoob12
  • 43 months ago

I'm installing a 2nd SSD that is for my Steam Library and I want to know if I should uninstall Steam from the original(boot) drive or not? Should I leave it and just add a second steam library folder on the new drive or uninstall it and install it onto the new drive?

Thanks

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I just move everything over and it's fine. just copy and paste the entire steam folder over and it's good(make sure you delete the old folder to save space on the old drive). If you run steam from your old SSD and move all the games to the new SSD, you'll have to go through way more trouble by deleting every game from steam, then setting the new download path to the new folder, which will then recognize the new game and skip the download. So, if you have several games, just move the entire folder to the new SSD, open steam through the folder on the new SSD, then it will update and everything will be good.

If you just want to add future games to it and keep the old ones where they are, create a new path when you download a new game.

I have a 250 GB SSD for the OS and other stuff and a 1 TB drive for steam and other games and movies. I originally had steam and most of my games on the 250 GB drive and moved it all over to the 1TB drive and everything works perfectly. You'll have to create a desktop shortcut from the new drive though.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep Steam on whatever drive it's on right now, next time when you download a game simply make a steam library on the 2nd SSD

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. That's what I did. If I notice any problems like lagging etc. I will just uninstall and install the whole thing onto my new drive.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

For the games you already have, I suggest you simply create symbolic links to your new folder (in the other drive) and let the fun begin. If that's too much asking, there's a nice app that easily does it for you :

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Enjoy !

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube