add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

950 Pro for Gaming/Games Dev?

M10Pearson
  • 45 months ago

Hey,

I know I have asked this question in the past, however I've been hearing lots of good things about it and still cannot make my mind up.

Is the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD worth getting for my Gaming/Games Development PC build or would the 850 Evo Sata SSD maybe 1TB be perfectly fine for it?

I'm hearing mixed reviews, some say there is major differences and noticeable too.. On the other hand I've had people say that there won't be that much noticeable difference between the two.

Now, I'm not ridiculously concerned about waiting an extra second or two to boot up and neither am I bothered about that extra second or two loading times for games and programmes. But are there any other benefits to getting the M.2 over the regular SATA SSD? Maybe helping with online gaming or frame rate and so on..

Let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

Nope will not help. Biggest benefit of the 950 Pro is if your writing massive amounts of data to and from the drive, or have a second M.2 drive and send data between the two. Examples are working with high resolution video's for example where you are opening/ closing / copying and pasting large data files.

For gaming you will see no real difference. It will make no impact on FPS either.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Right, what about within Games Development? More specifically within Unity Game Engine don't think it'll be a huge difference with that either right?

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Doubt it unless your writing a mass amount of assets to and from the drive constantly. I gather the compile time will still be pretty short either way so no difference. I gather the biggest benefit will be from when you load the project initially, but still a normal SSD will be a matter of few seconds for most and the 950 Pro while it would cut those few seconds down more, is probably not worth it as your not going to be loading projects often, once a day maby?

Also depending on the size of your projects, I think having a larger SSD would prove more useful then a small which shaves a few seconds when loading a project.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Awesome! Really helpful, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube