add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

wiping hard drives - please help!

wapistwithawisp
  • 45 months ago

Hey guys, I recently had to replace my motherboard and CPU, which meant I had to reinstall windows for some reason? Anyway, when I tried to do this, the PC would not boot with the SSD which had my original copy of windows installed on it. in order to get the system running, I had to disconnect my SSD and just use my hard disk. so i installed windows on the hard disk, and it worked ok.

After I did this, I reconnected the SSD with the intention of wiping it, and then moving all of the stuff I needed over to it from the hard disk. But when I did this, I couldn't get windows to start again... so now I'm worried. i dont know if the PC is confused because I have a version of windows on both hard disks. As I am upgrading my CPU again, I don't know if its going to render my system useless and unable to start due to me having no hard drives that doesn't have windows already installed.

Just to clarify, I had an OEM copy of windows. I don't know if that matters. I am buying a new license this time round anyway, but was wondering if someone could tell me how to safely wipe the hard drives prior to doing all this?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

... had to replace my motherboard ... OEM copy of windows ...

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

When you connect the SSD, go into bios and set the HDD to boot first. You can also manually select it while booting. Then just copy what you need and wipe the drive.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying mate. I tried that, but for some reason it just sticks on the loading screen prior to the password screen. then when I disconnect the SSD again, it boots fine!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try clearing CMOS (resetting bios).

Also disconnecting SSD, enabling ACHI in bios and reconnecting SSD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube