add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NEED A SECOND OPINION, DOCTOR

AyaBrea
  • 44 months ago

Howdy!

I've been trying to build my own PC for a couple of days now, I got a good advice on how to avoid incompatibility and get the best performance out of my build, but I have noone to tell me whether I am building it right, or not.

If any of you were kind enough to evaluate these two (kind of) builds:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/z77Kqk $531.07 MSI + Intel build

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vtMCy $459.73 Asus + AMD build

I am leaning towards the first one because I have much more information on that one. Also, I intend to buy 8GB DDR3 1600 memory card.

I hope you can check the links.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

At this point there is little reason to base a new build off Haswell CPUs. Skylake chips are newer and faster and only slightly more expensive. So you could go with something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $197.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $109.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $40.88 @ NCIX US
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $67.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $523.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 07:54 EDT-0400
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks.

However, if I wanted to change the power supply and the case to what I picked earlier, that wouldn't be a problem, right?

Any reason why I should pick a motherboard with DDR4 memory cards instead of DDR3, if it matters, of course?

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

However, if I wanted to change the power supply and the case to what I picked earlier, that wouldn't be a problem, right?

Depends. What case are thinking and what PSU?

Any reason why I should pick a motherboard with DDR4 memory cards instead of DDR3, if it matters, of course?

It's faster for about the same, if not cheaper, than DDR3.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The same case and PSU as in the build #1.

Sorry for the late response, had no internet.

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

DDR4 is faster ram and what is going to be supported going foreword.

You would have no problem using the case and power supply you originally had. One thing I will say is the power supply you had pick, a G1 series, is EVGA's budget line and any of their other series, G2, GS, GQ, BQ have better overall quality components and build quality.

Oh, and Parasite Eve is one of my all time favorite games.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I suppose I won't cut the costs on a budget power supply then.

Ah, yes. Parasite Eve. It is a wonder in my eyes.

Thanks again and sorry for the late reply, had no internet connection for almost the entire week.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the PC going to be used for and what is your budget?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming; my budget is $600 maximum.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $197.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $61.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $35.98 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $504.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 08:38 EDT-0400

I would go skylake. It is the newest gen. There is no point for haswell when the newer gen is a little bit more. Also if you go haswell there is no point to go z97 if it is a locked cpu

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

As m52nickerson said "Skylake chips are newer and faster and only slightly more expensive." There fore why not go for newer socket. Besides if you want to upgrade to kaby lake it will be the same socket (lga1151)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fhfqHN

This is probably the best. If the reason you need an optical drive is for windows... You can download it on a flash drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube