add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£900 -1000 first build. Help to bring cost down/improve!

avengedJC
  • 42 months ago

My first build. I've spent a good 4 months researching and evaluating my options. The list has changed many times but I am finally thinking about ordering parts by the end of next month.

As the title suggests I would like to get the costs down if possible, although I think I may have got it down as much as possibly already.

Motherboard picked due to USB 3.1 which I would like.

Keyboard picked due to multimedia buttons and fairly cheap and looks pretty sleek. Still open to other keyboard suggestions around the same price though!

Lastly - I noticed that the rec specs for Battlefield 1 list 16GB RAM. Do you think I need 16 or will 8GB be fine?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £181.90 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £40.66 @ Amazon UK
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £36.72 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card £249.99
Case Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case £89.40 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £70.97 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit £86.89 @ More Computers
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter £23.09 @ BT Shop
Keyboard Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard £41.99 @ Ebuyer
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £964.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 20:56 BST+0100

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

rec specs for Battlefield 1 list 16GB RAM.

Edit: watching a benchmark of bf1 comparing 8gb of ram to 16gb it is seen that the 16gb offers over 10fps more than the 8gb at almost all times. Here is a cheap set of 16gb but still really nice: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/jCL7YJ/gskill-memory-f42133c15d16gvr

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah yes, I forgot to say about the CPU cooler... I don't want to deal with the ugliness of the stock cooler haha! this seemed a good looking option!

Great, I just wanted to avoid having to add it in later, but you're right :)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that cooler isn't available to you anyways so you are gonna need to choose another one.

I also edited my comment. The extra £20 for 10 fps is worth it IMO.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah I know I'm hoping it will come back in stock for when I order, otherwise I will choose another one.

I read your edit! Thanks for the advice/help/research! can you link the benchmark you watched I would be interested to see?! Thanks.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that was an interesting watch! 16GB it is!

Also, that motherboard you linked actually hasn't got USB 3.1... MSI list USB 3.0 as, "USB 3.1 (Gen 1.0)" which I found out somewhere on their site is just the same as USB 3.0. Quite misleading marketing by them if you ask me :/.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Good shout. Had somehow missed this cooler by Cryorig! Thanks!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're spending 250 quid on a gpu, then get the 1060 6gb. You can get a cheaper card that outperforms the 480 on every metric.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, my understanding was that the rx480 is only slightly worse than the 1060. But the 480 works well with dx12 and I don't plan on changing or upgrading for a while (3years).

If I was to get a 1060 though, assuming I would get one that you can overclock and is know to be the best, which would you suggest?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The performance difference between the cards can be almost 10 frames.

The 1060 is both cheaper and more powerful, with better energy efficiency.

I'm not sure about DX12. There was a debate over DX12 support on the GTX 970 vs R9 390. But I believe the current cards both support asynchronous compute.

I will have to check some benches.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I have taken a look at benchmarks for DX12.

Its seems that AMD does have an edge on most DX12 games at the moment.

With the obvious exception of tomb raider. Not supprising since nvidia optimised the game for their own hardware.

There aren't a lot of DX12 games available to make a clear argument. I would say that the larger difference in performance will come from which developer optimised the game.

Tough call though.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been looking a lot into 1060 vs 480 today...

The only conclusion I've really come to is that 1060 is better for most current games but that the 480 is better with DX12.

The real question seems to be, how soon will developers be making games for DX12 and if so how many will be optimised for Nvidia and will it have as great of an effect as it did with tomb raider.

Part of me just wants to forget it all and just buy a graphics card and be done with it haha!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Developers are alreay making games for DX12. But there really aren't that many yet.

Nvidia and AMD optimise games because they partner with developers. Nvidia typically use this as an oppurtunity to introduce graphics effects that run well on their own hardware but poorly with the competition.

This explains most of the difference with games like tomb raider. And why benchmarks comparing nvidia and amd turn off hairworks.

I would love AMD to beat out nvidia on DX12 performance. And I hope they do. But right now nvidia have the better product.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I wonder how long it will take them to start releasing games with DX12 as standard though. Games can take 2+years to develop so it might be a while down the line yet. Or it could all be done now and only be 6months down the line, who knows!?

I would also love AMD to beat nvidia haha! They just make more sensible products in my opinion. They just don't perform quite as well as their nvidia counterparts in the raw.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

They are about the same in performance. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. The 1060 does not beat the 480 on every metric. Stop going around and saying this XD

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If you've got some benchmarks that show different. I'd be happy to read them.

But right now even the 3gb 1060 beats out the 8gb 480 in performance in all but the most vRAM hungry games.

It's more energy efficient and depending on the brand a location of purchase, cheaper.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I will tend to agree with you here @mash6man.

At least, it's not really correct to state that they are about the same in performance AT THIS TIME. The 1060, like you say, is clearly beating the 480 in performance in most games and benchmarks right now, if only slightly in some titles.

Whether DX12 and future games will cause that to change is anyone's guess and yet to be seen! :)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

A 5% difference is, I would say, about the same yes? Especially since the 480 is on average 5% cheaper then the 1060. And this isn't even including DX12 benchmarks. Don't get me wrong, I agree that Nvidia is just outdoing AMD at every turn right now, but that doesn't mean that every card from Nvidia is outdoing every card from AMD by a landslide.

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1060-vs-radeon-rx-480

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-480/3639vs3634

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The benchmarks you are using are terrible and not representative of gaming performance.

It's not hard to find good benchmarks for these cards. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review

It's almost like you are being deliberately deceptive.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

They are not terrible at all. These are benchmarks from THOUSANDS of users, not just from one website like you keep pulling from. I'm not being deceptive in the least bit. I'm using benchmarks from everyone, not just one website or one user. And actually the one I linked shows a lot of benchmarks from gaming. There is different games, DX11 and DX12, 1080p-4K resolutions. These are not terrible or not representative in the least bit. This is data pulled from real users while playing games.

I will stick to my point of get an RX 480 or just upgrade to a 1070. With no SLI support from the 1060, it's cuts down so many options for future upgrades. It's not worthwhile to me just for that reason, especially since the performance is very similar. Even if SLI or Crossfire "isn't the best" right now, it still gives you a significant boost in FPS and performance.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The trouble with the m/board is getting one with usb 3.1 as well. Couldn't find a B150 with it!

Oh okay good, hopefully they fix it and I'll just go with 1x8GB stick :)

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm afraid that board doesn't have any USB 3.1! It's a marketing ploy/naming technicality that MSI uses on specifications for all their boards.

See here: https://www.msi.com/blog/detail/usb-3-1-gen1-gen2-explained

"USB 3.0 became USB 3.1 gen 1.0"

So basically USB 3.1 gen 1.0 is just USB 3.0! But they decide to call it USB 3.1 gen 1.0. Pretty misleading if you ask me. I wonder how many people are out there now think they have USB 3.1 but actually have an MSI board :O.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries. You're not the first person in this Topic to advise me of an MSI board that doesn't have USB 3.1!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube