add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Some compatibility checks not working ; filter / require shipping+tax prices?

pianoplayer88key

35 months ago

Hi ...

Okay, first off, some things seem to not be working on the compatibility filter in the lists, where you go to choose a part. At least one situation this can be seen is in cases.

For example, take this parts list, which has 8x 3.5" HDDs, 4x 2.5" SSDs & 4x 5.25" blu-ray writers. Going to the case selection screen still shows cases with 0x 5.25" bays and 1x 3.5" bays.

Trying the same thing with motherboards is also not working properly, either - it's showing mini ITX boards as being compatible, none of which have the 16 SATA ports required for that list.

My main browser is Chrome, but I also tested this in Edge (to see if my adblock / ghostery plugins were messing things up) and it also failed there.

I think several months ago, the motherboard compatibility checker was working properly, but I think the case one has been broken for quite some time before that. (It may have functioned when I parted out my current system in late 2014 to January 2015, but I'm not sure. Btw I'm not looking at getting that many drives, at least not now, I was just using that list to show how the compatibility checker is broken.)

Also, speaking of case compatibility, would it be possible to check for compatibility issues, where the 5.25" bays and 3.5" bays are shared, like they are in some cases? (For example, some cases advertise maybe 10 external bays and 8 internal bays, but they are shared.)

And what happened to being able to see case dimensions or sort by them, on the case selection list?

Also, when I go to filter vendors, show prices, etc, when I'm logged in, I want to be able to require that shipping costs be included. I currently have vendors that don't always show shipping costs unchecked from my preferred vendors list, with the exception of Amazon.

I feel I'm forgetting a few other things. As I come across them, I'll either reply or make a new topic, or if possible, edit this post maybe.

Just remembered another thing... I'd really like to be able to work on multiple part lists simultaneously. My current workaround is using a multilogin plugin for Chrome that I've had quite a while. (It's no longer available; also a deficiency it has is forgetting my extra site sessions when restarting the browser, or when closing and ctrl+shift+t re-opening tabs.) But, it'd be nice to be able to do it natively.

Also, for the price trends at the bottom of each part page, I'd like to be able to have it reflect tax & shipping, but not include mail-in rebates. And, I'd like to still see price graphs for somewhat older discontinued parts, provided that the dropdown will go back that far. Currently it goes back 2 years, it'd be nice to have the option of making it go back farther (I'm thinking to when pcpp was founded), and optionally show a horizontal scroll/zoom bar based on user preference.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Long story short, compatibility checking is working as intended. Compatibility works in a top-down manner (for auto-filtering) starting with CPUs which explains the discrepancies you are seeing. Working on multiple part lists at once really isn't possible with the current implementation outside of separate sessions as you described and while it is something we've discussed we probably won't pursue it moving forward. Shipping information is available on a per retailer basis dependent on what they provide to us - I'll talk to the team but I don't believe we have any plans to create a filter for shipping included/excluded. We have also talked about longer lengths on the price graphs but not filtering them - no current ETA on that as there are other higher priority items on the to-do list.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm ... Okay then. This time I tried adding a CPU (like an i5-4690K, or an i7-5820K), a CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo) and RAM (a random 8GB DDR3-1600 stick), along with 16 hard drives (10 for the LGA1150 trial build).

It still wasn't filtering motherboards based on how many hard drives I have. :( I picked a random motheboard from the list, and of course the compatibility checker complained.

I ignored the complaint (for now), added four RX 480s (working down the list), then went to add a case.

The filter still ignored how many hard drives I already had in the list. :(

Is there a better way to do it? Trying each individual case or motherboard is WAY too tedious, and so is trying each possible combination of 3.5" & 5.25" bays or SATA/SAS ports. (And I think SAS isn't even filterable manually.) I want to filter motherboards and cases based on how many drives (or video cards or whatever), not the other way around.

For example let's say I want to put 12 3.5" drives in a case, and I don't care if I have to put them in 3.5 or 5.25 inch bays. I don't want to have to manually filter the cases like... : 12 ext 5.25", 0-8 ext 3.5", 0-20 int 3.5" : 11-12 ext 5.25", 1-8 ext 3.5", 0-20 int 3.5" : 10-12 ext 5.25", 1-8 ext 3.5", 1-20 int 3.5" ..... : 2-12 ext 5.25", 2-8 ext 3.5", 8-20 int 3.5" and so on. A quick estimate has me guessing there'd be several dozen combinations of filters required to try. :( I'm trying to streamline the process to just one filter or something like that, if at all possible.

I think it used to work a long time ago - if I added a lot of certain parts like hard drives, it would greatly reduce my options. If I added, say, 32 hard drives, then nothing would pass the filter criteria since nothing on pcpp supports that many drives natively. Now if I could do quad or 8-socket server builds with rackmount cases with dozens of hot-swap bays.... but that's not even in the same galaxy as my budget, & I'm guessing a little outside the scope of pcpartpicker?

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Right, compatibility works top down as I said. It won't check hard drive compatibility against the motherboard until you pick a motherboard. ~

~As far as I'm aware, cases should be auto-filtering based on your drive selection. I can see that is not the case and will bring it up with the team.~

EDIT: Chatted with Philip about it. The top-down compatibility is actually only applies to parametric filters. The rest of the filtering you mentioned is not currently done automatically but it is something we are working towards moving forward.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Any idea about when it might be rolled out?

Also I just remembered something & went to test it.

So apparently motherboards ARE being filtered by type of drive, but not quantity of drives. I tried adding, one at a time, a U.2 drive, SAS drive, PATA drive & mSATA drive, and it only showed me boards with those connectors.

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

No current ETA on that functionality. It requires a fairly significant update to the compatibility engine.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay then, any suggestions for streamlining a workaround?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube