add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mostly Lightroom/Photoshop Build with some gaming

TheQuest

37 months ago

Hi!

Wanted your opinion on the following build. Here's a description of it.

So, I am slowly making myself a build, in 90% for processing photos in Lightroom and Photoshop.

So, what do you think? My opinion is that it is a pretty solid build for around $1000 that will be usable for several years.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're going to be dealing with large file sizes, get 2TB instead of 1TB. It's worth the extra couple bucks.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience I produce around 500Gb of data per year, so I thought that 1Tb is good enough, but yeah, maybe extra Tb won't be pricy enough to skip it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Much better SSD, double the capacity, $10 more: SK Hynix SL308 - 250GB. It performs very closely to a Samsung 850 EVO. Pretty amazing SSD for the price. If your raw photo images aren't too big, you can now use the SSD while editing. For me, the faster speed is worth it.

Since you're not going to overclock, get a cheaper HSF. Best cooler at the lowest price ($12): Rosewill RCX-775

For $20, the Cryorig H9i is a good choice too. Or get the Silverstone NT07 for $20. It's low profile like the Rosewill HSF.

This frees up $30 which can be spent on a 3TB HDD, like a Toshiba P300 or Seagate Constellation ES.3. They can be had for $75-85.

Since gaming isn't the main priority, you'd be happy with an RX 470 4GB for $170. An extra $15 gets you the MSI Gaming X model, which overclocks very well. This frees up about $55. Spend an extra $10, and you get a 500GB SK Hynix SL308. If you want higher productivity and can use the extra space while editing, then this is a better choice.

Better (or on par) power supply for $50 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you shop around enough, you can get a Z170 for $80. An extra $20-30 would get you a highly capable board. I'd suggest investing more for the overclock option because it's really worth it after fiddling with it for a few hours.

Note: if you're only photo editing, then you might be better off with an i5-6600k. From the benchmarks I've seen, there's a small difference in performance between the i5 and i7 with photo editing. It depends on how well the software uses the extra cores/threads. Nevertheless, the i7 does compress files faster.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for great suggestions!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube