add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High end AMD Red/Black Build

Tyreathian

36 months ago

This is just a plan for the future, but I wanted to build an AMD with a GTX card with a red and black theme. Opinions, changes, or just anything is appreciated. No OS, peripherals needed. $1300 budget. To be used for high end gaming and rendering programs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $187.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Corsair
Motherboard ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard $136.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $413.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1253.80
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $1238.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-22 21:28 EST-0500

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Since this is a plan for the future, I assume you may be waiting until Zen/Ryzen launches and possibly building on that?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Well this is news to me. I'm not very good with keeping to date, I'll be sure to be more mindful. Just looking at the specs of the Ryzen, would this build be suitable for it?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Rumor has it that the new chips are due to release sometime late February early March, but who knows. You'll have to get an AM4 motherboard (not yet released) and DDR4 memory (which is pretty much the same price as DDR3 anyway), other than that it should be good, but you'll just have to wait for launch to see exact specs, everything right now is speculation and rumor. The only thing we've really seen so far are demos done by AMD at press events and CES, you can check out the guys like Linus on YouTube who did some coverage at CES.

Other than that just stay tuned, you may want to check out some of the tech YouTube guys since they usually release benchmarks and specs as soon as any NDAs are lifted (my personal favorites are Paul's Hardware, Bitwit, Jayztwocents, and Linus Tech Tips) and it'll save you the trouble of digging through news articles online figuring out which ones are legit.

One more thing you may have to take a closer look at is the CPU cooler, since AM4 is a new socket I've heard current cpu coolers won't work unless they release new mounting hardware (which I'm guessing a lot of companies will do).

[comment deleted]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice. Would a 1050 or 1060 be safer?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Stick with the 1070 I'd say, especially for high end gaming/rendering. A 1060 should be able to get you by in most things at 1080p, but your budget should be able to fit the 1070 in. "Should" being the key word, of course if you choose to build on the new AM4 platform, prices are tbd.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube