add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's the deal with AMD Ryzen 1800X and Windows?

BlueSonata
  • 38 months ago

I just bought a 1800X since it was on sale but I just noticed that on the box there's a sticker that says: "Windows 10 ONLY".

Am I ****** and have to use Windows 10??? I wanted to use Windows 8.1 :<

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

It is doesn't have official support so you pretty much are ******. Its either 10 or Linux. Anyways I don't see why would want to use 8.1 over 10.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-windows-7-drivers

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-is-getting-ready-to-block-windows-updates-for-old-windows-on-new-chips/

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had some of my customers ask me to revert or change to Windows 8.1 cause Windows 10 kept installing bloatware and other crap so they got sick of it. After seeing how people felt about it I developed some negative bias on Windows 10 now.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback! (God damn it. Welp time to see what Linux OS to get now...probably mint)

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I haven't had any of that stuff happen to me since installing Windows 10, the worse I had to was to download Spybot Anti-Beacon. Besides that its been trouble free. No problem.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm...ok you kinda convinced me a bit just a smidgen. I guess I'll test it in vmware

Edit: what's your favorite and most hated feature in Windows 10?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

There's a bunch of privacy settings and like peer to peer window updates options. Location based advertising in w10. But most of it can be switched off...other wise. I love Windows 10.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The tracking is my least favorite but you can fix that. I love everything else about it

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What else did you use, other Spybot Anti-Beacon?

And do you have the LTSB version?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing that I can think of. Nope.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

I think your customers just had their kids clicking around where they shouldn't have. Windows 10 with a legitimate license has very few issues, and like vagabond139 mentioned, there are workarounds for the tracking.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Even though Ryzen and Kabylake are only "officially" supported by Windows 10 doesn't mean you can use them in win8.1 systems. If memory serves I believe you just won't receive updates. But I don't know why you wouldn't switch, like vagabond said just download spybot anti-beacon and you're good to go. I've been using it on my win8.1 system, the only reason I haven't updated is because when I do my system freezes up. Soooooo ya.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it still be possible to install the latest drivers from saving the drivers downloads from Microsoft's website?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

what drivers specifically? video card drivers?

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

probably not, I believe it would give you an error saying that the hardware isn't "supported". I don't remember the specifics exactly.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn. Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried to like Win 10 but much prefer Win 7 and Linux .

I won't touch any new hardware that doesn't support Win 7 , i jumped on the Skylake bandwagon to make sure i had no issues with Win 7 professional .

To each their own.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What Linux kernels have you used and what's your recommend favorite?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I like Mate and have been using it a long time , i have not tried them all by any means , Still experimenting .

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube