add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mine or sell?

Unhandybirch656

27 months ago

So I've been off for a while and noticed a major influx in the price of a card I own, the RX480 8GB. A little research and I find out that I could make some profit, even trade for a 1070! So should I try mining? I can run the only game I play right now, TF2, on just my i5 6500. I could make that cash with just waiting, but I've heard it's riddled with scammers and the market could crash. I don't really need a powerful card, so I could buy a 1060 3gb and just keep the rest. What's the better decision?

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't do either. The mining market is a place where you need to do extremely extensive research before mining and selling. Also, you will not get a GTX 1070, those cards have now been hit with the same problem that has driven up prices of your Rx480 and are even more expensive. Keep your 480, I say. You can go mining if you want, but don't sell, especially as many many people are suspicious of used cards now. (Used graphics cards from the mining industry have a tendency to fail way earlier than normal. Your card will be treated as such, even though it hasn't gone mining.) And watch out if you go mining.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm gonna get a worse GPU anyways. I'm doing one.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with Duke_Giraffe's suggestion down there.

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Sell and try to pick up a vega card on day one.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

How about sapphires new mining card? Could I make profit selling that on eBay?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

The mining cards are more then likely gonna be in mass stock, for a cheap price.

So no, don't think that would be profitable, and since it's a bare bones mining card it will have zero resale value after being used.

Sell the 480 for 350$, or 400$ depending on how quick you want it sold, and I would wait for the vega core which should launch around july 30th, if you can't get a vega on time, and if the mining cards get a early launch waiting for a 1070 would be your best bet.

I'm in the same boat right now, but I sold my card when ether was crashing, so made around 360$ off of it, just sitting here waiting for vega.

with how amd has been marketing lately however I'm sure the vega core will out beat the 1070.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I can sell my rx470 and rx480 and play TF2 on iGPU. low settings is no problem for me. Do you see the GPU price going down anytime soon? I want more than a 1050.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly can't tell, not sure how vega and the mining cards will sell, if you're looking for mainsteam cards to come back into stock you would still be a few months away.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I was hoping to do with my 1060

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

sounded like a minecraft Post. sorry, dont have any helP though

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. All I play is TF2
  2. I found a guy locally willing to give me two R9 270Xs for $60 a piece.
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Report that fishy buyer to Ebay, they do not play games with those people. PayPal is the same way they do not play games with people who wont pay.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube