add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Another One: Ryzen or Intel for Gaming Only

JrJohnson65
  • 33 months ago

I was looking into upgrading my CPU because I want to eventually do a full custom look especially with EKWB's new aluminum loop making it much more affordable. Since I only have an i5 6500 a loop would be a bit over kill. I am only looking at using this PC for gaming and browsing the internet and steaming music. I was looking into buying an i7 7700k or i5 6600k (since people claim that an i7 is a waste of money I don't even know anymore) but with how great people are claiming Ryzen to be I did not know which way to go. Not exactly a Ryzen expert so I'm not sure what Ryzen CPU would be the best with in reason. All help is appreciated :)

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

What resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at? If high refresh rate go with a 7700k. If you will be gaming at say 60-80ish hz, then I would get a ryzen cpu. The 1600 and 1700 are the two best chips imo.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Between the Ryzen 1600x and 1700, which one do you think is better for gaming (specially for future titles like Anthem)?

In other words, Is it better to have a higher frequency or more cores?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get the ryzen 1600, you won't really see any benefits from the 1700 in gaming, as they overclock about the same. Games like high frequency cores, but future optimizations should make better use of more cores, and the ryzen 1600 has plenty of cores and threads at its disposal. I would only get the 1700 if you will do a lot of multitasking, editing, streaming, etc.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thank you!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Since I only have an i5 6500 a loop would be a bit over kill.

A "loop" or any large pumped liquid cooling solution is overkill/novelty for pretty much any consumer platform CPU.

Anything more than ~$50 worth of liquid heatpipe cooler on a consumer build is going to be pretty much a "waste" from a value perspective. In fact, very often, pumped liquid cooling solutions wind up no better off for thermal performance when compared decibel for decibel against large liquid heatpipe coolers.

The AM4 platform offers some interesting alternatives to Intel but for a strictly gaming oriented PC where a 7700K is in the budget, just go with the 7700K for now.

In a few years from now, that answer may change as software adapts, but for existing software, the 7700K is a great choice. By the time a many-slower-core solution looks better for gaming both the 7700K and current Ryzen 7 series will be old news anyway.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

just get a 6700 non K so you don't have to get a new mobo if you want to OC

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't overclock with a non K CPU

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

In fact you could get the k cpu and run the stock speeds and turbo fine on even a non z board...so youd still benefit from the 600hz oc from non k to k

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

No **** lul, I said don't get an overclockable cpu because you'd have to get a new motherboard as well if you currently have a 6500.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I already have a Z170 board.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

then I'd get a 6700K if you're planning to stream often at high bitrates or resolutions

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not a 7700k?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube