add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is your opinion on advertising on this site?

Captaincow285

28 months ago

I am asking this because I recently (as of time of posting, less than 10 minutes ago) replied to a post by an Indian company advertising web design services in the 'General Discussion" sub-forum. I told them that they may have broken a few bits of the Industry Affiliate Code of Conduct within these forums, and told them that we as a community (and possibly the moderators and developers) frown upon such advertising (as far as I can tell, that post has since been deleted and account removed). I feel, however, that I may or may not have misrepresented the community. Therefore, I ask: What is your opinion on advertising services on this website?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 5 points

When in doubt, report it and we will take a look.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm ok with it if it's in response to a post, and the services and/or products advertised help answer the question or provide someone with a way to solve their issue.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

As manirelli said, report it. The vast majority of content like that is spam and gets removed. I've seen very very few instances where it is legitimate (and ok from a terms of use standpoint).

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't mind if it's like, 'hey look, my company happens to be useful for this' and then they link me to it and its services, but if they just go around advertising themselves.. I'd probably get annoyed at some point.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The company in question was doing your second scenario, advertising themselves.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

They may take a leave. No place for them here.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems like they did - forcibly. I think an admin (likely Manirelli) removed them and their post.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I obviously don't know but if I were speculating it probably would be much less of a computer forum and more of an advertising platform if everyone was allowed to freely advertise whatever they wanted to.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Really it all depends...

In terms of advertising in general, the less in my face the better (obviously). However the more relevant and interesting the content is (kinda what Google is doing) then I'm more okay with that.

Of course advertisements are usually not something that's very well received or liked, yet despite this it has a major impact on companies and the spread of product and ideas, which is a good thing.

But on this site? I'd for one be surprised to see advertisements or paid services in order to have a product really shown in the limelight. Sponsorship? That's (at least, from what I understand) already happening in one way or another, and in my eyes that's completely fine. Basically just don't make it obtrusive or I'll probably just block it

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm fine with advertising as long as it isn't Instagram popular page format: * BREATHING CHALLENGE (99% FAIL)

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube