add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions wanted - Newbie

Ariffk

30 months ago

Hi all, New to the forums and to computer building. Was pointed to this site by a friend and I've been having a look about, reading up on a few things.

Basically wanting a computer to play games like BF1, etc but be pretty solid for other things too. Not sure about overclocking and that, never done it before but something by bro knows about.

Opinions/ suggestions on this setup would be great. I'd say my budget would be about £900 (would prefer to not go over as I want a decent mouse, KB and headphones).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ariffk/saved/zxZt6h

Cheers!

Ariff

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi Ariff,

Here's what I'd do. I've changed the RAM, SSD and GPU. Still under £900 but with these changes you'll get even more performance from your budget! Oh also, you don't need a CPU cooler as the R5 1400 comes with a nice one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £146.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard £79.36 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £126.80 @ Amazon UK
Storage SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £76.97 @ Ebuyer
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £37.99 @ Aria PC
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card £238.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Corsair - SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case £55.66 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £51.41 @ Ebuyer
Monitor Asus - VP228TE 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor £83.99 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £898.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-20 15:51 BST+0100

Please shout if you have any questions.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Cheers! I read somewhere that with the Ryzen 5 1400 that the 3000 MHz was a but pointless and 2666 MHz was better (sounded strange to me too). I like how you got the 6GB 1060 in there too - Looks awesome! :)

What's the difference in the SSD?

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

The issue with 3000MHZ vs 2666 MHZ RAM was mainly due to the motherboards bios not reaching the advertised speeds. Now with most bios have reached 2933MHZ and up.

Ryzen benefits from faster ram a lot. 3000MHZ to 3200MHZ is the current sweet spot.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this, didn't know this was the case. Appreciate the info! :)

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

No worries!

Yeah RedRage explained the RAM frequency below :)

The SSD is the best budget SSD there is. SK Hynix make a lot of the RAM/SSD modules for everyone else too. I actually have one as well and it's brilliant.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say the CPU is decent or do you think I should go for the 1600 instead?

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

If you have the budget I'd say you'd be set for a lot longer without having to upgrade, if you get the 1600. That said the 1400 is still solid for gaming. Be sure to overclock either one though!

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

If it'd be a better option then I'm sure I could pay out an extra couple of quid for it.

Appreciate your help, lad! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube