add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Poor person's rookie build (to upgrade later on...) Help please!!!

tenlegdragon

26 months ago

Hey dudes.

I'm from the Caribbean, so local prices are murder for poor quality, outdated pc parts and pre-built PCs as well. Buying on Amazon seems like the better option, even with paying shipping fees (roughly $30 US) on each part. Everything I have home is decrepit so it's a bit of an emergency, but seeing as I have shipping to pay, I'm still willing to wait for Cyber Monday or these "tech deals" I keep hearing about.

The goal is some gaming and to start dipping my foot into content creation. I'm teaching myself to code and hope to get into animation. Never built anything before though. I want something where I can have Photoshop and maybe Illustrator open without having to close all the other apps. I want fast movement through the adobe suite. I'm not going to be Maya ready for a while, but I want something that will eventually be able to run that smoothly, since I'm doing a course and am going to hit that in about a year. GPUs are just over my head right now, (eg, crypto-mining is over my head)

Basic build

Is this a good starter arrangement? That I can upgrade later on when ram and video cards come down in price? Yay or nay? Do I need a sound card? Also - 3.5" HDDs are cheaper? Quality issue? Or try to find a 2TB HDD for the money? I plan to add an SSD 250GB when I save up again and reinstall windows and key software on that instead, so would a lower quality HDD be better in a capacity vs quality way?

Any feedback is appreciated. This is about 9,000 dollars in my local money, which is about a month and a half salary-wise, so I'm terrified about messing it up!

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

According to some research, It seems that your dollar is 1/3 value of USD. Also, you're not the only one with that problem. Australia probably gets it the worst. Their local store prices are okay, but shipping tax from online retailers are almost comically high.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, things are getting very ridiculous. It's the shipping that's hurting me most. I almost feel like waiting until someone I know goes on their "winter holiday" and ask them to bring it with them when they come back. But it would be hard to trust people to protect the parts.

The value difference is what is tricky to explain. People think I'm being paid okay, and I'm like, "Not in a relative way."

If shipping for me comes up to so much for a country that's technically part of the "Americas," I suffer to imagine what Amazon charges to go down under.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's an improved build)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $197.28 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ B&H
Storage Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $61.97 @ Amazon
Video Card PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card $284.99 @ Best Buy
Case NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1049.05
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1009.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 16:36 EDT-0400
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! This looks really good.

Question though. The hundred dollar discount is worth the loss of the 2 core drop from the Ryzen 7 1700?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are video editing, there is no reason to buy a R7 1700. Its cores are slower, and the extra 2 cores will go unused the majority of the time. The R5 1600 is an amazing CPU, and is worth getting over the 1700.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, assuming I get accepted into the course, I'd need something that can do those animated short videos at least... 3D rendering. Don't know how deep I will ever get into it, but I don't want to have a problem at any point.

How does it balance out - high CPU/low GPU or mid/mid or low CPU/high GPU? I just don't want to have to upgrade on one of those super expensive parts like the graphics card or processor.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

You won't need to upgrade, its a mid/mid setup that has plenty of power.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Rather than get an HDD, spend that money on your 250Gb SSD. Having only one drive may help your sanity and the spped difference between an SSD and HDD are night and day.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube