add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me compatibility-check and shave $200 off this build

siddyjain
  • 30 months ago

Hello! This is my first build ever. I want to stay under $1000. I used the modest and great AMD build guides as base to come up with this list (updated): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hnr7VY

Is the fan a compatibility concern? What other fan can I use? And where else can I reduce the cost, at all?

I need this build to be relevant for 5-7 years.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello, your cooler isn't too much of a concern. All it is telling you is that the mount for the B350m motherboard and the cooler you have may have to be brought separately (I think), however if you still aren't sure with it remove the 212 evo and use the stock AMD Wraith, it is quite good and you can still OC with stable performance.

Also, question yourself: Do you need 2 monitors for a first build? Bare in mind you can by them down the line and just add them onto your system with a single connection. Also, you need to make sure your monitors have the correct I/O for the GPU I/O. The 1050Ti you have chosen has 1 HDMI, 1 Display port and 1 VGA.

Other than that, I'd advise getting a hard drive to go with the SSD as well, to store your main programs on as 250gb won't be a enough for 5-7 years.

I hope this helped.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I need two monitors for my work. So I should be looking for a GPU with two HDMIs? Or get a HDMI to displayport dongle because the monitor can do displayport I think.

I might get a HD also. I have 3TB worth of external HDDs for media storage. I'm going to try to offload as much as I can on those and keep the SSD for OS and programs only.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Do as you prefer, just ensure your monitor supports it. c:

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I suppose this is NOT for gaming, as I see a trackball mouse, am I right?

No need for a LAN PCI-card, the LAN is already on the MOBO

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I didn't look too closely at the mouse, sorry. I only game occasionally, and its mostly strategy games like Civ 4/5/6/BE and CK, Total War, Offworld Trading Company.

Mostly need it for data analysis, research/reading, and writing with lots of tabs and writing software open at the same time.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

My try getting to 1000$:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $197.28 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $66.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $129.89 @ OutletPC
Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.75 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card $142.29 @ Amazon
Case Deepcool - D-Shield ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $46.26 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - H226HQLbid 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $99.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer - H226HQLbid 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $99.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard $9.99 @ Best Buy
Mouse Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse $29.88 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1037.18
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $1002.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 07:09 EDT-0400
  • 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Other than settling for a cheaper case, the only thing I can see to save money is to choose a cheaper SSD. Yes the Samsung's are faster than other SSD's but you can get a different manufacturer's that might not be quite as fast but costs a lot less and performs admirably. You have to ask yourself if you think you'll notice the difference in speed between a Samsung SSD and a different one (especially if you haven't had an SSD or haven't had a Samsun one in the past).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube