add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
fonslinger

24 months ago

I have laptop that is currently running win7 with an enterprise image. The laptop is currently locked to the corporate user and there is no way to contact the person and obtain the password. I would like to perform a clean install of win10 and i am torn between saving few bucks for an OWN or just get a full version. I also want to know if performing a clean install will overcome the locked win7 installation or if I need a new hard drive as well.

Laptop is a dell latitude with an i5, 8 gb ram as a 256 ss d

any feedback is welcome

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The clean Win10 install will overwrite the Win7 password. It will also overwrite all data, so watch out.

I'd say go full version.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks. I don't need whatever data is there i was more concerned about would it even work. I 've been reading a bunch on doing this on the web and there is a lot of cross talk about what works/w doesn't

One last question, does buying a physical copy of retail version or a digital copy matter? It seems there is some concern about getting a acceptable key.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Each physical copy bought from a Microsoft certified Vendor (Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, B&H, NCIX - Amazon and Newegg list these c=vendors as well as a few others) will come in a box. That box has the install media (CD or USB drive) and the product key printed on the inside of the box. That's it.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it.

Captain, just wanted to say thanks for the help. Got my win10 usb at best buy, about 30 min later the laptop was running win10. No sweat.

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have done something wrong, then.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have done something wrong then.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube