add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to escape the tyranny of a monopolizing ISP, thoughts?

Dracomaster9

23 months ago

my parents are moving my family to another town, however, our new address is EXCLUSIVELY serviced by AT&T for WiFi, and our family has had a menagerie of deal breaking issues with AT&T, and they might even deny us service due to these issues. Is there a way to get WiFi for our house without getting it from the only ISP that services the area? Just for ****s and giggles, let's pretend that cost is not a problem (within consumer level though).

List of devices which will be connected: Xbox One Xbox 360 Macbook Kindle Fire (3) Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge Hp Notebook LG Tribute HD (3) Iphone 5 (2) $1400 Gaming Desktop (r5 1600x, 1080) (and maybe room for 2 more devices, all gaming oriented devices need hard wire connections save for the xbox 360)

any help you could provide would be life saving, thank you!

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Not much you can do until a new ISP shows up in that town. But has AT&T made any tyrannical changes yet?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

They're literally the worst provider on the customer service end, i mean, there's nothing wrong with their WiFi except for the fact that it's moderately overpriced. But it's impossible to get them to help you with stuff. 23+ hours logged on phone to REMOVE A PHONE LINE. idk, it's frustrating to deal with them and it would be a million times better if we didnt have to get WiFi from them

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Create your own ISP. Have better standards. Be the instrument of change.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Is Hughes Net serviced there? I think they have some sort of satellite internet.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

legonate and i may i have a bone to pick with you lmao

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol I assume you guys have been victims of this service? I've personally never used it

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow good God that sounds awful, and I thought Comcast was a pain to deal with...

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There's really nothing you can do. You could investigate satellite internet, but it's garbage for anything real-time (massive latency). Sorry.

I live in a well developed area and in many instances there are only two options here for broadband.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Spectrum is pretty good, although 60 Mbps might not be enough speed for you

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I think spectrum is using fiber optic cable

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Neither Google Fiber nor Spectrum service my new house

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

*area

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Yo dude this is a forum not an IM, you could have combined all 6 of your posts into 1-2 responses, depending on context.

So instead of...

Oh

I’m not sure how to help

I’m not even sure if there is annI that can handle all your devices

...coming in one after another, we could get:

Oh. I’m not sure how to help. I’m not even sure if there is annI that can handle all your devices.

;)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m not sure how to help

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Leave the internet.

Problems solved ;)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all for responding to my forum topic, I'll take all of your advice into consideration!

• 23 months ago
  • 0 points

Google Fiber should be fast enough for all your needs (up to 1 Gbps) which is about the same speed as gigabit Ethernet

The best part though? No cables

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm unsure, but i know for a fact it's nothing too fancy

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube