add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

was thinking of turning extra parts into a cheap server

multi-iostream
  • 73 months ago

like the title says, been thinking about doing it what i currently have is cpu: AMD athlon II X4 645 ram: 2x2gb 1333 psu: corsair 430m

ik i still need case/mobo/storage

and i was thinking of putting windows server 2012 or SQl server 2012

any information on this subject as, server is just escaping my understanding

but i am in college for game and simulation programming(school 100% focus's on all aspects of c++) so a server in general could be useful and i want to learn MySQL and i am assuming it has something to do with SQL server lol

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I work with server all day(08r2 and 2012)

what do you need this server for?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

mainly messing around with, but would be useful to have all my c++ programs in one general location where i have access to, and i dislike the idea of cloud storage that i do not own 100%

edit: also for kinda cheap testing of multiplayer options in my school work, i dont know if those parts are good enough for that or if i can do that but the games would not really be that demanding

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube