add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard, GPU or CPU Problem?

John_Titor

25 months ago

Hello everyone,

May 2017 I put together the following system:

Ryzen 5 1600, Asrock AB350 Pro4 ATX, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200, ADATA SU800 512GB 2.5", Zotac Mini GTX 1070, EVGA SuperNova G3 650W,

After one month, my GPU "died." Lost display while playing a game. I tested with my 750 Ti and I had display again. Re-seated the 1070 a dozen times in the primary PCIE 3.0 x16 slotover a couple weeks then I decided to RMA it. Zotac told me it failed their testing and was dead and they sent me out a replacement (a very crappy refurb, but that's another story). My replacement 1070 didn't work in the primary slot, after many attempts to re-seat it, and I almost gave up when I decided to try it in my secondary x16 slot (runs at x4). 1070 works in the x4 slot without issue. Still will not work in the primary slot. Took the 1070 and tried it on my friends computer and it works in his primary x16 3.0 slot. What the hell? So now I think it is the motherboard PCIE slot, but my old 750 Ti worked in it after my original 1070 died. I don't have the 750 Ti anymore, so I didn't have a chance to test it again. I'm not sure something changed between testing the 750 Ti and getting my replacement 1070. Small chance there is a problem with the CPU PCIE connectivity?

I'm really frustrated and all the parts in question are from the USA, making RMA shipping very expensive (I'm from Ontario, so 1070 cost $60 for one way express shipping to Zotac). I'm thinking of just replacing the motherboard, but I would like to see what you all think first. I can't find very much info on this specific situation through google.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I guessing it could be motherboard or maybe a messed up PCIE slot.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what i'm leaning towards, just making sure I didn't miss anything before I RMA the motherboard, or just buy a new one. I don't see any way this could be a GPU issue after the testing I did.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube