• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Gijsb2603 14 months ago

i see that some people are building their own home size servers, but why actually?, can someone explain what kind of help a home server is?

Comments Sorted by:

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 14 months ago

A home server in most cases is just an old pc that has been given a lot of storage and is accessed through your home network. It acts as a place to dump files that you don't want to get rid of but don't have enough space on your machine to keep. For example picture, videos, work documents and anything else you don't want on your main pc but still need. They also act as a way to insure that valuable documents don't get lost/erased by mistake and if they are configured in a raid array (Such as raid 1) can have a level of redundancy in case one of the system drives fails. This is the most common type of home server I have seen and I have built one myself in the past. But then everyone in my house got new computers with larger hard drives so it ended up collecting dust. Later I used it for an interesting project that involved recovering the data from a system with a Pentium 4 and an ATI 9700 Pro, Which is older then me.

If you wanted to build one all it takes is an old system and some hard drives. And if you have something like a celeron from 2006 like I did then a free distribution of Linux will run just fine on it. I recommend Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

Please add anything I may have missed.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 14 months ago

Running mint on a 2006 celeron is going to be a bit painful. I might suggest lubuntu instead. More lightweight than mint, but since it's built off of Ubuntu you can add what you need and keep off what you don't.

Either one will work its just user preference. It ran fine for me but all it was used for was storing files. I am not a Linux guy at all, I just used it because it was free and my dad knows how to use Linux. But most distributions of Linux will run on basically anything that is somewhat modern. My dad was able to get a distribution of ubuntu from 2010 to work on a 1998 Lenovo thinkpad. Or IBM thinkpad I don't know who was making them back then.

Yeah, Linux is pretty great for old systems. Ubuntu and Mint tend to be more demanding than say Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Puppy Linux. Of course, this can be mitigated by going with past distributions which require fewer resources.

Puppy Linux is by far the most lightweight distribution of Linux, followed by Lubuntu. But, I have very little experience with Puppy Linux and I'm not sure how well it would do for a server.

I had Lubuntu running on my old 1999 HP that came with Windows ME. That computer lasted me 12 years and still worked well for basic server needs (although it wasn't the speediest out there).

Linux can do pretty much anything from what I have seen, It just takes somebody who knows what they are doing. If it wasn't for the lack of game support I would be using Mint or Ubuntu right now. I know you can get basically any game to run on linux with enough tinkering but on almost every video I have seen on the subject the game ends up running much worse then it does on windows. That and the fact that my school software is only compatible with windows kinda limits me. My Dad on the other hand dual boots. He has Mint on his nvme ssd and Windows on his sata ssd. The only reason he has windows is because the software needed for his job won't run on Linux because it is some microsoft stuff. He also uses it to play games but the 1 game he plays is almost as old as me. But Linux is the primary OS. My personal experience with Linux is basically limited to installing it on to system and installing Super Tux.

I use Ubuntu for content creation. Windows for all else (mainly gaming). I did use to use Fedora, but haven't in some years now.

Gijsb2603 submitter 1 point 14 months ago

i actualy got an old pentium laying around, thanks for your answer tho, it explained a lot.

You can use them as a game server that can host sessions for you and friends. Or you could use it as a multimedia server and use it to house movies, music, etc. Then, every computer on the network can access it. I am running a multimedia server in my closet. FX 6300 CPU, 8800 GTX GPU(need to replace with 1030 to save power), and 3TB storage.

Ice44 1 Build 1 point 14 months ago

Nice. I am running an i5 2500 and hd 6870 (which I need to replace as it overheats when playing games) for plex media server, kodi, and games and maybe server hosting behind my family's TV

Gijsb2603 submitter 1 point 14 months ago

thats seems pretty usefull, thanks for your advise

Not a problem. Hope it helps.