PCPartPicker

• Register

New graphics card in PC, now it won't boot.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

elias.boehmer 14 months ago

I decided to upgrade my htpc(pentium g4400, gt 710, 8gb RAM and a 430w power supply) to something that might be a little more capable. I found an hd 7770(edit, hd 7790) for £15 which is a nice price for a small upgrade. However, now, my PC won't boot. Either with the gt 710 or the hd 7770(edit, hd 7790), nothing happens. What's wrong?

Thanks

Comments Sorted by:

Nullarc77 3 Builds 2 points 14 months ago

Did you check the power button on the power supply(If there is one) I have heard of several people forgetting this one part and go through a lot of trouble shooting only to realize they just had to flip a switch. This happened to me when I replaced my motherboard and spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong before realizing the power switch was in the off position. But if the fans are turning on a then it is not the power supply. If literally nothing is happening then the PSU is most likely the problem.

elias.boehmer submitter 1 point 14 months ago

Yeah, checked that. No fans are spinning at all. Kind of strange though it's a decent xfx unit.

I just noticed a made a typo saying I got an hd 7770, I actually got an hd 7790. Could this have overloaded the power supply? Sorry, I was looking at a lot of hd 7770's before I came across this.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 1 point 14 months ago

According to the tdp of all your parts you should have 200 wats of headroom. Try reinstalling the old gpu and check all the connections again. Even if you checked them twice it does not hurt to check everything 3 or 4 times. Also can you link the specific psu. I am just curious about what kind you have.

Okay, it turns out that I managed to unseat the motherboard 4 pin....yeah. Thanks for your help, +1

No problem. It is usually something like that. I have made similar mistakes before. I think anyone who has built a pc has. Good luck with any future upgrades,

Thanks, I was(and still am) more lucky with my main pc. I guess that's the advantage of buying new vs. used parts. Thank you for being there after a minute of having posted. Have a good day/night.

No problem. I have way too much free time, Best to spend it trying to help others. Have a good day and happy new.