add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Star Wars Discussion - Spoiler Zone

manirelli
  • 25 months ago

Sufficient time has passed since the release of the movie to remove the sitewide spoiler ban. For now though lets contain the spoiler content/discussion to this topic. Discuss!

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 4 points

Maybe I’ll get downvoted into oblivion for this, but I liked it overall. Sure there were some shortcomings like the death of Snoke, but the same can be said for every Star Wars movie (case in point: Boba Fett). It felt like a very fun movie, and I left it feeling happy and excited for the future of the series.

I also enjoyed the whole Holdo vs Poe thing, because I felt like it gave a powerful message about how sometimes it’s better to take the safe, dignified option than to seek glory at the risk of others. It felt like great character development for Poe, and I’m excited to see where they take his character in the future.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Was about to shoot a message to you guys asking when it was going to be enough time. Glad to hear ;-)

One word ftp describe first viewing: disappointed

To me there was too much forced comedy, the director absolutely killed plot lines that I feel could've had major parts in this film and the next (Rey's storyline, Snoke~literally~, Kylo's badness aurora ~I actually liked him in the first movie~, Luke's semi-lame death~although I am expecting to see a force ghost return~), and is chasing plot lines that seemed very forced (the weird Harry Potter thing going on between Rey and Kylo was kind of lame, imo). As a film, the cinematography was pretty good, but to me it just didn't fit well with the rest of the franchise. I walked out of TFA so ready for the next film to be released. I went back to the theaters to watch TFA several more times. I walked out of this one feeling very "meh".

One other thing that kind of rubs me the wrong way with this film is that I've heard a couple reports, albeit I'm not sure they're credible, that Johnson has a deal with Disney to direct more films after this trilogy is released, so he's doing what he can to give himself as much freedom to do what he wants with those as he can (hence the questionable plot line choices). I don't know the legitimacy of this however, so I'm keeping it out of my actual opinions. Just a side note if it does come to fruition.

All that being said, I will withhold all final opinions and judgements until the last one is released. Maybe when that one comes out, all these things I'm complaining about will come full circle and make sense. I love Star Wars, and am fully okay with and plan on giving it the benefit of the doubt for 1.5 years ;-)

What did you guys think of it?

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

One thing that still confuses me about the movie is how BB8 is this extremely vulnerable droid back in TFA, but then in The Last Jedi, BB8 can take over imperial vehicles, weapons, unlock everything, etc.

Is he gonna fight Kylo in Episode 9, it sure sounds like they might make it happen.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I still haven't watched the movies....

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I think there were 2 characters that could have been completely left out. The stuttering thief and Rose. Seriously why have them in the movie other than to take up screen time? Movie was good, but could have easily been a half hour shorter without them.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It has produced some awesome memes.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Me and about 6 of my friends all went to watch the movie on the 15th. We are all idiots so when the scene where all the sound was cut we just all said "oh ****". I don't think the parents appreciated that xD

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad I finally went to go see it yesterday, I liked it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I am hoping to see it soon. But i want enough time to pass by where i can be in the theatre with only 2 other people during like a noon showing or something.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Kylo got that 8-pack.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Kylo's groans are godly.

Edit: Also, I hate Rose.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought it was ok, I certainly didn't hate it. However, I did think there were a lot of disappointing and anti-climatic endings to a lot of plot lines. Rey's parents, the dark side cave, the way snoke died, and more. These were hyped to oblivion, then just tossed away. I also thought they should have developed Holdo more. She just seemed like an ignorant a** the whole movie, so I felt no sympathy when she died. It was a powerful moment, but I hadn't had the chance to care or grow attached to her.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube