• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

JCMsergox 15 months ago

@Title

It seems like almost all the budget offerings these days have at least 4C/4T. The G4560 is a good CPU, but even that has hyperthreading. It begs the question, are straight-up 2C/2T CPUs dying?

Comments Sorted by:

Allan_M_Systems 4 points 15 months ago

There will always be a market for simpler, lower powered CPU's for various applications... though sometimes I wish they weren't even available....

Case in point... KIOSKS with massive response lag.... like self checkout machines, check in kiosks at airports, COKE MACHINES?!?!? Why is the digital coke machine a massive downgrade in performance from the old school?

MannyPCs 1 point 15 months ago

I have self order screens an McDonalds' near me, you go and click the food you want, and you basically get a two second dilay each time.

Cicero_ 5 Builds 2 points 15 months ago

If you mean dying in terms of usability, I suppose you could argue that.

There are still many, MANY games that are only single or dual threaded, so budget options like the G3258 are still pretty viable for those who know what they’re getting into. In addition, web-browsing and office tasks do not take up much in the way of CPU resources and are mostly RAM based, so a dual core is fine for those. However, multi-thread support is certainly going up, and we have seen 2C2T CPU’s that struggle to get consistent frames in intensive, multithreaded games like GTA V.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 15 months ago

Unlikely I expect AMD will launch some of them based off of Raven Ridge silicon once they can build up enough poorly binned units. Both 2c/2t and 2c/4t models.

They are rather popular for low end OEM system and Thin Client terminal which really don't need much in the way of performance.

Intel will most likely have comparable core and thread counts available for Pentium and Celeron brandings.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 1 point 15 months ago

AMD announced that their cheapest laptop APU will be a 2c/4t cpu with a vega gpu. But they won't be making any more 2c/2t chips.

But they won't be making any more 2c/2t chips.

Source.

And do you really think they will let Intel go unchallenged in the ultra low end market with their Celerons.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 0 points 15 months ago

The R3 2200U

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200u

If AMD does make a dual core desktop chip they would most likely have SMT or it would not be able to compete. But chances are they will just keep dropping the price of 4c/4t chips. It would actually hurt them to release a desktop 2c/2t chips due to the fact that intel's celerons would just crush it due to IPCs. AMD has the advantage of more cores and threads for the same price. So if for some reason they do release a dual core, It would have SMT so that it could actually compete. A 2c/4t chips from AMD on the desktop side that costs around $50 would destroy intel. Then again them cutting prices on 4c/4t chips would also destroy Intel in the low end market. And with the increased IPCs and overclockability with the Zen+ architecture even if it is only a small gain will help to compete against intel. And who buys celerons anyway? AMD would not give up their only advantage just to get in to the super cheap cpu market. And besides an old FX cpu will beet a celeron in anything except single threaded workloads. Just by adding hyper threading you can more then double the fps in some games, And if you look at the gpu usage you can see that a 2c/2t cpu will just bottleneck any gpu. If and when AMD enters the ultra low end market they will bring what they need to destroy intel completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEi8PJjlI_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDd5eNeLxdo

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Drops-Ryzen-CPU-Prices-30-Percent

They are already dropping prices and once Ryzen Second Generation is released the prices will probably be reduced further on the First Gen chips. When Ryzen Second Gen releases I think we will see quad core cpus for $80 or less. Just gotta till april to see.

Allan_M_Systems 4 points 15 months ago

That's a lot of "destroy Intel" speak.

Just my thoughts on what would happen if AMD entered the ultra low end.

Couple of problems with that viewpoint.

It requires Intel to do nothing which they have already shown a willingness to compete.

You assume AMD and Intel who are cross licensed and share development are actually in competition.

You believe AMD will continue production on first generation Ryzen.

And it neglects how AMD would compete they will push better graphics at the cost of a slight CPU performance downgrade which has worked for them in the past.

AMD cannot at this time compete on a core to core level with Intel so they use better integrated graphics and thread count to compete which can as shown in the past work.

AMD and Intel have not been cross licensed on their CPUs since the 80s or 90s. They are in competition. They are cross licensed on instruction sets but that is it. Since AMD created the x64 and intel the x86, They cross license so both manufacturers can use both. But when it comes to the actual cpus they are in direct competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxzYFU5a_U

AMD cannot at this time compete on a core to core level with Intel so they use better integrated graphics and thread count to compete which can as shown in the past work.

Ryzen has no Igpu. The apus are marketed as a cpu that is capable of gaming on it's own. But that is only for the APUs. They will continue to make both better but they are not sacrificing cpu power for the sake of a better igpu. The Ryzen 2300g is a 4c/4t chip with an igpu capable of 1080p low gaming. They are pricing that at $100. So why would they still sell a 4c/4t chip without the vega gpu for $100. They wouldn't unless it has significantly better cpu performance.

If anything intel is abandoning the ultra low end market. Coffee lake has not had a cpu for less then $130. And they don't have any motherboards besides the most high end ones. They have nothing on the budget side. The g4560 is $90 now. On newegg the cheapest celeron I could find that is new is $60. It used to be $40 for a celeron.

You believe AMD will continue production on first generation Ryzen.

Yes for a time since they will still need to sell the remaining 14nm architecture in order to make more of their money back. It would make perfect sense for one of the second gen 4c/4t chips to have an $80 msrp. Or they will sell the rest of the first gen ones at that price till they run out. Their goal is to make money and you don't make money by throwing away a good product as soon as you launch a new one. You lower the price on the old one and sell both until you run out of the old one. That is what they did with the FX cpus. That is why at one point you could get a $40 rebate on an $80 FX cpu.

AMD cannot at this time compete on a core to core level with Intel so they use better integrated graphics and thread count to compete which can as shown in the past work

That is almost exactly what I said. If they make it an apu even better. It would destroy intel if it was an apu or not.

So if for some reason they do release a dual core, It would have SMT so that it could actually compete. A 2c/4t chips from AMD on the desktop side that costs around $50 would destroy intel.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Those are Atom CPU now its tough without digging in since they run both Core and Atom under the same branding now for mobile.

Throw some benchmarks at them though and the difference is apparent.

The only dual core Ryzen chip that will probably ever be made is going to be a mobile APU. With how cheap 4c/4t chips are becoming and how limited they are in gaming they will soon die off. And now that 6 and 8 core cpus are normal to have on desktops thanks to AMD, Game devs can now optimize their games for them. Within a few year 4c/4t chips will be in the same spot as 2c/2t chips are now. So to answer the question yes. But it is good news. It means that technology is progressing at a faster rate then it has been in the 6 years between Ryzen and Bulldozer.

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 15 months ago

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > CPUs".

JCMsergox submitter 4 Builds 1 point 15 months ago

Had a hunch this would happen. Kinda torn on the threads. Thanks for the correction!

mark5916 1 point 15 months ago

The most applications out there needs more than 2 cores.

So, manufacturer are focusing mostly on that.

But there will be always some 2 core processors on the market (i guess) for just basic stuff.

The G4560 is an 2 core processor, if you wanna compare apples to apples.

It may have 4 threads but the cores are 2.

JCMsergox submitter 4 Builds 1 point 15 months ago

Im aware. The processors in this thread Im referring to are 2C/2T CPUs.

mark5916 1 point 15 months ago

Yeah i know. ;)

Intel may release Coffee Lake Celeron CPUs (i don't know when) that will have 2C/2T on that matter. ;)

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 15 months ago

Well I don't see dual cores being made forever but I don't think they are dying just yet. For gaming PCs I believe they are on their way out but there are still lots of PCs that are used for non gaming or content creation stuff. For a basic PC for web browsing, office work, playing videos, etc you will not need anything higher than a dual core CPU.

With a number of 4 core CPUs in the budget area for PCs it does make it easier for gamers to get a 4 core for cheap. Today we have the r3 1200 and i3 8100. It's far better today than the old fx 4100 vs the i3 2100 before due to a much more massive IPC difference.

If someone already has a 2 core 4 thread CPU now for gaming I am sure it should be fine to use a while longer but it is getting harder and harder to suggest one on a budget built in interest of longevity of a new build. If it's only used for facebook then I am sure it will be fine for the next 6-10 years.

DopeAF123 1 point 15 months ago

the pc I replaced has a 2c 2t processor, it ran so slow it just would randomly restart. Oh, and they were oxked at 2.0 ghz. im haply Ioved on to an I5 7500