add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

When you're 15 and can't find any reasonable way to get money to upgrade your PC.

XDInfinityGamer

20 months ago

I currently have a decent system and setup except for the fact that I'm using an i3-6100. I'd love to upgrade to an i5-6500 or i7-6700 but I have nowhere to get money other than birthdays or Christmas. Out of curiosity, where does anyone else in a similar situation get their Gamer-funds?

EDIT: I'm 14, not 15. My finger slipped when entering the title.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I designed and sold keyboard PCBs freshman year. Made about $5k then got bored. Spent some on computers, those got boring too. Now I'm doing it again to buy a car at 16.

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently, have a '96 Accord. It works well, but my sister is coming home for an internship in the summer and she'd probably used it. Since I won't have access to it, I've decided to preemptively get a fun car. I'm currently looking at an NA Miata, but I'm leaning a bit more toward the s2000.

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

my dad has a 2007 Toyota Camry, when I get my license later in August, I'm gonna try to buy it from him .-.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

PCB stands for printed circuit board. It is the part that you attach electronics like switches and micro professors to. I designed it in Ki CAD.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

May I ask what your background was that allowed you to do this?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

No background really. I learned basic circuit design from looking at pre existing CAD files on /r/mk. I got connections to a PCB fab through one a connection who designs power supplies in China. After that, I just did interest checks and got pretty hyped.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

That's pretty cool. But, interest checks?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I used PCBway, but now I'm moving over to a dedicated fab in China.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Have rich grandparents like me lol. My grandpa dropped $2300 on components for me without batting an eyelid so...

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

lucky pooba

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah IK

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My story is that I've never made a large purchase (over $100) I'm 14.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Just realized I put 15 in the thread title instead of 14. Finger must have slipped. Wow, that's impressive. I've just had to save up for forever.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm 16 but I make money from home. I know some things about web development and make money helping people create websites a lot of the time. Its not a lot of money buy I get enough to pay my car insurance and still hang out in town lol.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh cool. I wish I was confident enough to put myself out there.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Im sure you can. Really, you'll be nervous at first but it will go away once you do it,

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I think I'll try to get some kind of job around this spring.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

if you live in the US most states allow you to work at places like walmart and such to do grocery bagging or other small tasks, at 14 or 15 (like me) Hour limitations are strict, 3 hours max on a school day, and 18 hours max on a school week, but still, you'd have the money to buy a full system in a month and a half with that schedule. Working during the summer has more opportunities and less strict hour limitations, but have fun trying to find a job, i've searched far and wide and come up with nil. The only way you can truly know whether a place will hire you is if you walk in and speak with a manager. Best of luck!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I live right next to a Food Lion, so maybe I'll try to speak with the manager about weekend or summer jobs.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

you can also wait tables at a restaurant, you make quite a bit more money on busy nights and it's more fun than retail

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I started working at 15, got paid to do technology stuff (pretty fortunate to be in a school district that offers such positions).

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm currently going to school for technology stuff. Unfortunately, there aren't many technology-related job offers, especially for people my age, near me.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

College I'm assuming? What does the university offer for student positions?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, I'm in High School. If I was in college at 14 that'd be something.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What positions does your district offer?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a K-12 school district, correct? What is the school district, if you don't mind answering?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

if you have a spare android device laying around, download Mobile Performance Meter. It might not give you much, but it could pay for a game one day. I personally have about a total of 40 bucks with it but I run 2 accounts :) free cash while doing nothing

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have an android. What does the app do?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

well, it studies what apps you use, but not getting into too much detail, just the kinds of apps you use, and at what times they are being used. Basically it, I have 2 cheapo phones just laying around. I don't do anything on them so nothing useful to Embee Mobile (haha). I just have them charged up and in like a 1/ 1.5 weeks later gotta chargem backup. I kinda think of it as mobile cryoptoming except it dosen't stress you phones components and its not really cryptocurrency

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok, maybe I'll buy a cheap android phone used and try this out.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

How long have you been using the maps?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

im assuming you meant "apps". I have this app running for about 6 months now. They also give you little surveys for extra points, they ask you stuff like do you like your carrier, what is the most important factor in a carrier to you, stuff like that.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, yeah. I meant apps.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Been asked many times on this site. The consensus seems to be:

Mow yards, shovel snow, pick up leaves, etc, etc.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My parents let me spend over than $3000 AUD on my PC for my birthday present. I find it hard to find a job that is related to PC building, especially the job location is 1 hour away from my house. Instead, I am looking to work at Mcdonalds or the dentist.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You're lucky. Max amount of money I've ever been allowed to put towards a present is around $300 USD. Then again, both my parents are teachers.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, with $300 USD or more, I think your parents let you get the i7-6700 for your present.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, probably. Currently waiting until Summer.

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeesh. Not in the US. Teachers get paid nothing.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Teachers are loaded in Australia? The Average salary for a 5th year "experienced" teacher is around $79,000 which is not really loaded IMO.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, just for a nice PC upgrade from my old PC that was 5 years old.

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

When I was that age, I didn't usually buy stuff that expensive, but I did have alot of ways to make money... Working for local business owners cleaning up a parking lot or store for them off the books, buying and reselling popular items at school (adult stuff mostly, but that's before the internet made it all free), getting people things they can't or won't buy themselves (like head shop items, pocket knives, electronics, etc) at discounts of course so I can make money (flea markets and junkyards helped alot there), selling candy in school that I bought at discounts in bulk like suckered and candy bars, and many other side hustles... I didn't sell drugs, but anything else was open game, and in the 90s I was clearing $200-500 a week doing this stuff. These days we have amazon and free adult websites, so the bulk of my biggest revenue streams would be lost, but the principle is the same. Just don't do anything stupid that will get you in real trouble like drugs or stolen items. Build a customer base, create the demand, and build a small network of employees like I did lol.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and half cash up front... Never buy other people stuff with your own money unless they put down half or you may be stuck with things you can't sell and lose money.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, if you get a paper route, you might be able to speak to the home owners when delivering and collecting, which may lead to other opportunities like doing yard work or helping people move, or even finding a real part time job... You just need to talk to people and not make them hate you.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have a semi-decent pc you could mine crypto, even with a gtx 970 i make $50ish dollars mining 2/3 a day (when i'm not using my pc) every month.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

How well would say, an i3-6100 and a gtx-1030 with 8gb ram, do at mining. Is it hard to get into?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

On the gtx 1030 you probably could make around .75c Per 24 hours and the 6100 only around .15c so its not really worth it for the cpu but the gpu depends on your opinion. If you want to Heres and from then you can link it to a paypal or bank account so it can trade the bitcoin for usd. If this is something you are interested in doing i highly recommended do research on this just so you get the general understanding. Also cause it pays in bitcoin its kinda like investing so if bitcoin goes up if you have any due to mining you make some money.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

When I was 14 or 15 and had no income I was playing only games that I could acquire for free. I think I purchased my first game when I went to university.

And of course, it meant no upgrades in the hardware really. Got a sound card and 2 speakers with my bro together as we had no sound before. And that's about it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Turn 15, get a work permit from your school, and get a job.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I shall turn 15 now. Magically.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

One word;

Lawns.

Charge $25-30 to mow lawns, and get around 5 of your neighbors to hire you. Even deducting gas funds, you could still get a 6700 in a matter of a few weeks. Get more people to hire you and work an entire summer and you could maybe have yourself a whole new rig.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

When I was 14... well, I relied entirely on holiday and birthday money. I didn’t do much with PCs at this time, though...

Try asking your parents what you could do to get money.

Or... you could wait until your 16, get a worker’s permit, and bust *** trying to get a job.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I go busking, actually, and people throw money at me and my friends because we're minors. We are not exactly virtuosos, either. Learn a saxophone and the money comes rolling in. I also build arcade machines out of old PCs and eBay parts (the price some pay for a bit of Tetris...).

EDIT: Don't feel bad about your hardware. I can't wait to get a i3 2120 with a GTS 250 tmr.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My co workers 10 year old son took some scrap wood from the garage, hand sawed them into like 10"x 6" pieces and used his dads letter templates and wood engraving tool and made stuff that said things like "Home sweet home" or "Grandma's kitchen" and then used some kind of lacquer or acrylic over it.

He then walked around the neighborhood telling them he made them by hand so he can save up to buy a bike...they sold at every house he went up to. I think he asked for like $20 each. Pricey but being hand made and for a good cause to a young entrepreneur, people felt inclined to dig deep.

But anyway, there might be something you can make around the house that people will buy.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Low key suck it up the i3 isn't that bad

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said it was bad, I would just love to get a nice quad-core for my pc. The i3 is currently the only thing holding me back in games.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Fix/repair computers for people in your neighbourhood who aren't that good with computers. My friend did this when he was 14 and would charge them £20.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose I could put up fliers. I'm not too good at going door to door.

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll take a look and see if its viable for my situation.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. The only problem with the mowing lawns and doing chores is that there's already a neighborhood guy who covers literally almost the entire subdivision for really low prices. My parents are also the parents that say that my allowance is that I get to live under their roof (Which I suppose is true). Holiday money I usually get around $200ish. Pretty much lets me do about a decent upgrade every holiday. I really wish I was allowed to have a job as young as I am.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

increase competetion. do it for less money

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about the States, but in Canada you can get a job at McDonalds at 14.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya but it's pretty hard because they will just go for the older kids

[comment deleted]
  • 20 months ago
  • 2 points

And if you can't beat the prices, add value by guaranteeing better work

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I actually can't wait to get a job. I might try this upcoming spring.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What country are you in?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow ok.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube