add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worst timing ever

PersianBandit
  • 26 months ago

So long story short. I wanted to build a for a while now and when I finally started looking at parts. The video cards are either out of stock or doubled in price. Thanks Bitcoin. So I don't know what to do. I put an Asus 1070 on my list and that's $800 but there's a Gigabyte 1060 for $600. I want the computer for gaming and live streaming. I want my games to run on max/almost max and at least 60fps. What should I do? Give in and buy the Asus or save some money and buy the Gigabyte and when this all blows over I upgrade? Here's my list if it helps. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3wjnm8 Also advice about the build would be appreciated.

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

I want my games to run on max/almost max and at least 60fps. What should I do?

Compromise on visual quality. Accept that high/ultra is a moving target, and decide not to give chase on the markets terms.

Remember that a GTX 1050 is capable of about the same visual quality as a GTX 960, or GTX 770, or GTX 680. All of these GPU's have been successfully sold as good 1080P gaming cards over the years. Heck, a GTX 460 was considered an acceptable 1080P gaming GPU at one time. A GTX 1050 is like buying a more efficient version of a flagship GPU from a few years ago, for only ~$120-140 today.

My advise, is to get a GTX 1050 and a 1080P display for gaming on today, then upgrade when next generation GPU's come out. By my figuring, next gen stuff should put 1440P 144HZ with "good" settings in reach at a much more reasonable price point.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

is holding 5 1060s in hand

wasn't me.

idon'tactuallyhavea1060

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

First off this GPU is a bit cheaper.

https://www.outletpc.com/og0780-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-8g-graphics-card.html

Secondly if budget is a problem, you should focus on components that would not affect the overall performance of the build but would come cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $256.79 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $67.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $196.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $169.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $889.89 @ OutletPC
Case Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $103.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.90 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $137.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2166.70
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $2101.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-24 18:04 EST-0500
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. 2500 is my budget.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the above build is way less than that, and the major change is the CPU from a i7-8700K to an i5-8600K.

Wouldn't make a difference on the most games out there.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8600K/12.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8600K/13.html

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

No.....worst timing ever is that my MSI GTX 970 dies last week, and MSI won't RMA it because the warrant ended Nov 2017. Now I can't find a card to save my life, and couldn't afford one if I could find one.

And I refuse to pay double or triple MSRP for a card. I'm sorry, not going to pay OBSCENE amounts of money for something just because miners f-ed up the market.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

f

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

press F to pay respects

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Hehe, nice try, but no... Worst timing ever is that I'm stuck with Intel integrated graphics from an i5-2410m, I have never experienced a high-end gaming computer in my life and all of the computers I have had have been like years old and not good for gaming, and just before I can finally get a good PC, the prices skyrocket like this... Now I just have to wait who knows how long...

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought my RX 570 like a month before they started going up, I paid £160. They are now worth £350.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Bitcoin.

It's not due to bitcoin, bitcoin has actually been down in price but it's more due to the profitability of mining has gone up a lot.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

My advice will be wait. Although it may seem like it will never happen, prices can and will go back to normal, and if you buy now, you'll be kicking yourself in six months when 1070s are going for ~$400 again.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

From everything I've been reading it's looken to be 12 months before GPU prices return to MSRP. It's really to early to tell, but mining is holding pretty steady and is looken like it might go past the 6 month mark.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It's impossible to tell what will happen. Companies might ramp up production if it continues that long. If things are still like this at the end of Q1, then yeah, probably buy it, but otherwise I'd wait.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Put the money aside. Then check stores, resellers, Craigslist, ect. For good deals. With the money ready you jump on whatever deal comes up. My bud got a MSI gaming 980ti for $200.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel you pain so much. I have been slowly researching to build me a much needed upgrade and I was waiting till after the holidays so I could have some extra cash. And I was apprehensive about buying the parts I wanted cause I wanted to pay off some debt first. Now my entire build has come to a halt because I wanted a 1080ti so badly and now that single card is almost double of what my build was originally budged at..

I too am stuck and frustrated and hope prices go down soon,

[comment deleted]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah... I agree that 1070 should be at 400$-450$

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw a buyer selling a used 1060 for about $100 above the new model, and a 1050 Ti going for $7,000 used. Beware of the 500% markups.

[comment deleted]
  • 26 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not keen on it, but pre-builts are the cheapest way for performance cards right now. These prices are definitely out of hand otherwise... unless you do get lucky and can pounce on a near regular price one as soon as it hits the shelves (virtual or otherwise.) It's just too bad some of the more affordable pre-builts aren't all that great in and of themselves.

[comment deleted]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Aren't there websites that will send email alerts when a card is available for a price range? That's the way I'd do it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube