add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why do parents think pc building is so hard?

hirokie

23 months ago

I’m 13 years old but my parents won’t let me build a computer. They say “I’ve never built one before” or “It’s too hard”. First of all, how am I ever going to build one if I have not built one before??? And it’s literally just putting parts where they are and screwing them in. How do I convince them?

(UPDATE: So my parents gave me a 13 year old computer to disassemble and reassemble. Successfully done. Just waiting for them to actually accept the fact that I can do it and let me spend my money.)

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 6 points

Do what I did when I first started. Find someone IRL who knows how to build one and convince them to help you with your first build. Your parents will trust their ability and after that you can day you learned how to do it from that person.

• 23 months ago
  • 4 points

Took me 2 days to notice I spelled "say" wrong. This bugs me to no end.

• 23 months ago
  • 4 points

Well, at the end of the say, you're still a cool guy.

ill leave now

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Good guy Jack

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Agreed. I am incredibly lucky to have him as a friend.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

hehe

• 23 months ago
  • 6 points

As a parent (in real life), they might be saying this based on their observations of your past - how you handled other things that required following instructions and minimizing mistakes. Also, depending on their age, many parents have learned how to do things by either reading books (those things that have paper with words on each page and are heavy and bulky) or someone showed them how to do it (i.e. replace a batter in a car) versus watching a video on-line. So it could be that it is new territory - just guessing since I know nothing about your parents. Also, again, not knowing about your parents, the $$$ investment (who will be paying for all the parts???) they make in the parts and then handing it over to someone who has never put together the said parts could be a big financial risk in their eyes.

Put it this way - how about you give me $500 to work on your (fill in your possession... bike... car...) and I'll fix it - I've never done it before - it is simply just making some adjustments - I saw it on youtube. Would you trust me?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I have saved up only 600 just for the PC. So, no. It's all my money. However, it does make sense. Thank you.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Their experience is from the 1980s-90s, when you had to solder and create motherboards with Intel 8086s, or else program it themselves with paper strips.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I doubt they are THAT old. Paper strips were before the 80's - more like the 60's. Haven't confirmed with google.

When I was in HS, there was a 'computer' room - in there was a teletype machine, and a phone, and a coupler that the phone would sit in when active - meaning dialed into the real computer at another HS. There were paper strips used to load in/or save programs. It was ancient stuff back then - but we had fun with all the little dots the paper strip would make.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I would start with PCPP's build videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA4BpBaN8wLCYYq24TiF9aWHwc0nvxpZD

Like Cicero mentioned, find someone who has built a computer before to help you. If not, then you need to convey to them that you have studied enough about the build process to do it on your own - write a list of the necessary steps you'll follow and show that to them - and take things slow. Have you already saved up to build the computer?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh look...the monthly "My parents just don't understand" thread. I was wondering when it was coming.

• 23 months ago
  • 4 points

Thanks for helping me out.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I was wondering when it was coming

I was also wondering when you would say this exact statement on this thread.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Sorry it took so long :-P

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

i built my first pc at 13 tell the its like legos :) it actuly helps

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I would show them a video on how to build a computer. I know Paul had a series on NeweggTV where he showed the whole process of building a computer. Those videos were really helpful for me.

I'm petty sure Kyle has a video about it now as well as Jay. Pick whoever you prefer and let your parents see what it's all about.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m thinking about that but I’m like 75% sure that they will either not watch it/or watch it and say “You’ve never built a PC before though.” Thanks for the suggestion though.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If your parent's won't let you take on challenging tasks, you need new parents XD.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm turning 13 soon and I just learned myself just impress them by showing instrest in computers.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/tos/

The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well there is nothing blocking me from joining so, I don't see how being 10 days under 13 shall be a problem.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yea It was meant to be a bit of a joke.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

I like how I take everything seriously.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You can tell your parents that its easy or something.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Just show them one of the build videos from PCPP.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Parents are weird. My mom was dead set on me getting a prebuilt (she was worried something would be broke), but then like two weeks later, she lets me open it up to replace a couple things.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You could show them this thread. Or any of the thousands of Youtube videos showing how easy it is. When I was 12 I took apart and put together my old desktop and it worked perfectly fine afterwards. And tell them that since you saved the money and are buying everything that all the responsibility is on you.

As far as their arguments go the first one sounds completely ridiculous. Ask them how learned how to drive a car. Their parents didn't tell them that they had never done it before. They most likely learned by doing. Try and make them understand that you know how and that it is easier then driving a car. I have done both and trust me building a PC is easier. As far as the second one goes, I have literally seen videos of 5 year olds building computers. And if a 5 year old with help from their parent can build a PC then a 13 year old with help from a youtube video can build a PC.

A more drastic way of doing things would be if you have a desktop in your house, Take it apart and put it back together. Preferably when they are not around. Then next time you ask them and they say it's too hard then tell them that you took apart the desktop and put it back together and that it still works. If they don't think you can build a PC after that then you are screwed. But their excuse of "You have never done it before" Would be gone.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never had a desktop in my life so the second option is not do-able. However, they gave me this really old 90's desktop to take apart, and guess what. Everything is soldered.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if the other stuff I recommended does not work then you are screwed. Unless you know somebody that has built a computer and convince them to watch you build your PC and tell your parents he/she is helping you when in actuality they are just playing on their phone while you build the PC by yourself. Or if you live close to a brick and mortar store like Micro Center or something similar that you could go and buy the parts from. If you do then tell them you want to go buy a gaming PC and then when they aren't looking, Take a cart and run over to the computer parts section and grab everything you need before they notice. Or just have one of the sales people tell your parents how easy it is to build a PC(Probably an easier method). Besides it is your money. What risk does it pose to them in the extremely unlikely event that you do brake something. If they are worried about you braking something then constantly tell them that if something goes wrong you will be the only person responsible and that it won't cost them anything. That will show that you are willing to take on the responsibility of building a PC.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd argue that everything is soldered in. The CPU should be in a socket as well as the RAM. Video and audio cards should be in slots, but those could be part of the MB so those would be soldered in.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

show them this website and this thread.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say that it's because I hear computers from their time were much harder than they are now. I'm 14, so I kinda understand. They wouldn't let me until this year, so, yeah. I hear that they would have to solder some parts onto their board, and there were no compatibility filters like there are now. So, give it a little time. Who knows? Maybe they're planning to give you one for your birthday.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Bad idea tbh. Rip the experience.

What happened, curious?

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully when you can build it will be an enjoyable experience.

[comment deleted]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, they're much easier than they used to be.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube