add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

are refurbished cpu coolers bad?

Aymenh265
  • 24 months ago

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291943675451

whats the difference between brand new and refurbished. is there a good reason to spend double the money for new?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 3 points

I wouldn’t recommend a used aio water cooler (unless it’s just a packageing thing like on some amazon products) since they tend to degrade with use more then air coolers. Many also might need the liquid changed if it’s over a couple years old.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

i thought closed loop never need maintenance.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

They say that but the liquid still degrades. Many aios don’t come with a refill valve but some do.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 to what this guy said. AIOs degrade much faster than air coolers. The liquids might degrade, it might buildup air bubbles, or the pump might fail or be beggining to fail (pump failure is a big problem with AIOs). When I got my H115i I also ordered a Cryorig H7 because I knew their was a good chance that within a year the pump might fail. I don't always rely on reviews, but if you check any of the teviews for pretty much any AIO (Corsair, NZXT, etc) they have a good amount of reviews that say pump failure in under a year. And the coolers that don't have those reviews are the ones that leak faster than the pump can fail (Deep cool). My friend had his h100i V2 fail him after a four months (pump), which he replaced with an EVGA CLC 240 which also had pump failure in a couple months. I assume he was just extremely unlucky, andthat pump failure is less common than that, and/or will take longer, but it's just something to keep in mind.

But granted the seller here is Newegg, and they are tagged as Manufacturer Refurb. So whatever broke in them should* be fixed. However, I would still avoid it as that means someone (even if it is a professional) opened up and played with an all in one (that aren't really meant to be opened up). For a manufacturer refurbished, you would still lexoect it to be cheaper than new, but half the price is kind of edgy to me. I would just bite the bullet and buy a new cooler, especially when it comes to liquid in your PC.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with this, but deepcool does have a good replacement policy. (I can't say anything about the other brands)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes me want to stay with air coolers. Set it and forget it.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I got a refurbished, recertified h110i at Fry's and a year and a half later, zero issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube