add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buy MSI X370 Krait now? Or wait for X470 boards?

Pcjulian12343
  • 25 months ago

Should I wait for the X470 boards to come out or buy the motherboard now? Im still tyring to decide if I should get the Ryzen 2 2600 when it comes out, or get a ryzen 1600/1600X right now. What do you guys think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X9dFf7/msi-x370-krait-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-krait-gaming

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If you need a computer right now then I'd go for the x370 and 1600 but if you can wait why not? It's not like the new processors and motherboards are going to get worst even if it's only 1% better.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can, try to catch the X370 boards on sale, as I doubt there will be many features on the X470s that will be worth the extra 15-20$... If you have a microcenter near you, you'll definitely want to check it out, as they have open box deals on their CPUs and motherboards, along with the 30$ off if you combo. Personally, I'm using a X370 msi gaming pro carbon AC with my R5 1500x, and I'm planning on upgrading when 7NM zen launches (Or if I see a really nice deal on Zen +), and I'll likely go for the R7 model just to double up on the cores (Even though it'd be unnecessary). From what I've seen, Zen + should bring 10-15% more single core performance, but their prices will be at MSRP (Vs Zen 1 which is on sale everywhere right now), so it'll be 10-15% more $ for what should be 10-15% more performance.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

CES 2018: Unveils X470 Mobo Chipset

A lot of the changes are based around overclocking and cooling. Firstly, there’s going to be a better memory layout, allowing more compatibility with CPU coolers not smacking up against VRM shrouds, as well as hopefully meaning RAM slots are no longer blocked by wide coolers—or for those using RAM with larger heat spreaders.

The other big change is support for the much higher available frequencies of DDR4 RAM. This is one of the bigger issues with the first generation, as Ryzen essentially topped out with 3200MHz RAM. This was a shame because we could see the upticks on the CPU for having the faster speeds. Early motherboard announcements show full support for up to 4000MHz, and some early prototype boards and chips at CES showed them running at 3800MHz already, so this looks like the announcements are right on the money.

The last one is relating to the CPU overclock, which has been announced as being, at the very least, “higher” on the 2nd generation. As such, there’s reduced latency for multiple board connections, as well as a more important improvement to the CPU power delivery system.

CES 2018: New CPU: Ryzen 2nd Generation (Zen+)

Along with this smaller die change comes an improvement to their Precision Boost technology. Called (shockingly) Precision Boost 2, it is now specifically governed by the CPU temperature, its current, and the load on the chip.

The aim here is to not only allow for a much more responsive automatic boost based on the real chip performance and environment, but—with there being more granularity (just 25MHz steps)—to also allow for much more even cooldown after load spikes.

Coupled with this update will be XFR 2, essentially where (thanks to the higher level of sensor control of the CPU) AMD’s own systems can handle the overclock more adeptly and accurately, versus a user setting a specific overclock. Again, this is much more of a quality-of-life addition, and is designed for people who want performance without the hassle of going into the BIOS and dialing in an overclock manually through trial and error.

Here is an X470 Gigabyte board.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12328/gigabyte-at-ces-2018-a-first-look-at-x470

Prices may be close to that list:

https://videocardz.com/75194/amd-ryzen-2000-series-exposed-pricing-performance-leaked

Some comparisons (Korean site Hardware Battle (page now taken down but images already saved by VideoCardz)

The processor that is being used is most probably the Ryzen 7 2700X

https://videocardz.com/75185/first-benchmarks-of-ryzen-7-2000-cpu-have-been-leaked

So, if you don't mind to wait a little bit more! ;)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

By the time you get the latest and greatest, there will be something new out the next day (in theory.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube