add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Infinite Boot Cycles

Brooklyn_T0n198
  • 25 months ago

I PUT THE WRONG TITLE, IT SHOULD BE "INFINITE BOOT CYCLES AND DATA RECOVERY"

So, I had a previous post about my Optiplex 745 crashing randomly because of Event ID 10016 in Windows 10. Now, yesterday, I turned it on to try troubleshoot more, it crashed twice, and then Windows actually tried to fix itself by going through Windows Recovery. Then it finished, booted, and... crashed. And then it got stuck in an infinite boot cycle. I say infinite because it can't get past the BIOS "Dell" booting screen. It won't boot into BIOS/Setup, I can't boot it into the Boot Menu because I never made a utility partition on my HDD, and it won't even boot up with my flash drive that has Windows 10 on it.

I can't find a way to fix this. I tried everything, but I think I finally killed it. Time to switch my machine to a Dell XPS 8700 system. Any suggestions on how to get my data off the drive other than taking it out and hooking it to another PC? I want to try and save my KSP save files and mods.

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/r44qqs

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

If it won't even boot into the BIOS, that sounds more like a motherboard issue than an OS issue.

Anyway, assuming the issue is in fact an issue with the OS, not the drive or the motherboard, then you should be able to recover your data quite easily. You'll need another OS though - I'd recommend some sort of Linux, since you can use those on a USB without installing. You'll need to install the OS onto the USB drive from a seperate computer. You'll need to choose what distribution you want, but I'd recommend something user-friendly, like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, and then download a disk image from their site. If your other computer is also Windows-based, I'd recommend using rufus to install the disk image that you downloaded.

When that's done, plug it into your malfunctioning computer and hope that it boots into the USB instead of Windows. If it doesn't, you'll probably have to change the boot order in your BIOS (F2 should be the key to press to get into while the computer is booting).

The USB should give you the option to try out the OS before installation, which is what you'll want. Once you've gotten to the desktop, all you should have to do is transfer the files you want over to a different USB drive. There may be a bit of annoying stuff with the Windows drive since it didn't shut down properly (ie the drive may not show up), but a few commands should fix the issue. Hopefully.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It used to boot into Windows fine until Windows tried to fix itself... My motherboard checks out. No capacitors broken, all connectors correct, etc.

Thanks for the info. I will try this as a last resort if I can't get it to boot and/or it won't let me plug it into another PC.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree, it's more likely that it's an OS issue. Disconnecting the drive should allow OP to boot into BIOS.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting you datat off the drive is not a complicated task, you just need to take the hard drive out of the PC and plug it into a new system. If you don't want to do that, then the only other choice you have is to find a way to boot the PC. Your problem sounds more like a hardware issue, so I am assuming whatever you do the hardware is going to need to be fixed or replaced before you can boot into the system, so taking out the drive I probably your best bet.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting a Dell? It's a trap!

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey there, if you still need help, try to disconnect your HDD and see if you can boot into BIOS. If you still can't, rip computer, but on the bright side it means your hard drive is probably fine. The more likely scenario is that Windows was corrupted so now you won't be able to boot into it, but that should be fine because you should still be able to pull data out of it.

Any suggestions on how to get my data off the drive other than taking it out and hooking it to another PC?

Well, if you can manage to boot into the Window bootable usb, then you can plug in another usb and use the elevated command prompt to copy your files over.

Essentially:

1. Unplug your HDD
  2. Boot into BIOS and change boot order to USB
  3. Plug the Windows bootable USB and the HDD back in
  4. Boot into the bootable and run the elevated cmd (Shift + F10 I believe)
  5. Navigate into your HDD to find the files you want to save and copy them over to the USB
  • 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, good news, I got another computer, so I don't care if it runs, and... It booted into Windows now? I have no idea, it boot cycles, then it boots through Windows and crashes, and... infinite cycle. Now all I need is to get the save files for KSP off the HDD. Time to just plug that drive into another PC and get the data off of it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Just repair Windows and it should work fine. But if you don't need it, then once you save the files you can wipe it and have an extra drive.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows did try to repair itself... It didn't help. I am just going to wipe the drive after I get my data.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube