add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How can I (legitimately) earn money for my remaining pc parts at 15?

Dracomaster9

18 months ago

So I have searched, and searched, and SEARCHED for any sorts of jobs which i can work at, i even suggested some things to a 14 year old on the forums a month or so back regarding this very same problem; yet i am completely stumped and frustrated on how i should go about legitimately earning the funds for my CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Now, selling my old console products has been an option, but I would only consider selling my xbox 360, the xbox One i've spent too much on before my PC obsession to get rid of now (like 300 in games srs why did i do that). I have some spare phones i can put in that stupid phone recycling box at the mall, a menagerie of useless accessories which might not even have all of the parts, but i dont think even if i sold everything i had i could scrape up even $200...

Now i might end up being downstream without a paddle on this one, because of every conceivable establishment near me, none of them are hiring, let alone at my age. So my conundrum is that i have a half built desktop sitting on my desk with the power supply and storage in it, but a motherboard in need of parts worthy for 60fps at 1080p. I can't babysit, clean, or do tutoring (i don't have transportation if its a job like that) and i dont even have a lawnmower to cut lawns, which would be totally possible if i had a lawnmower.

The reason I'm crying for help on this forum is because I am at the end of my rope, i should have just saved for a prebuilt now with all of the price increases going on. Sitting on my crappy $200 HP laptop which my mom wont let me sell and whining about this probably wont do me any good, but if there is anybody out there who knows a way I could solve this mess, I need your advice. I love the gaming community, console and PC equally, and I have been a gamer since 3. With the way the tech industry is constantly changing, i currently regret getting so rooted in the console world, and my lack of interest in the PC realm until almost 8 months ago. I just want to have a machine capable of doing good in games and work, and I am almost there, i just need a push in the right direction to finish it off.

Sorry, i was rambling, wasn't i? If you know a way i can get a 1060 or 580, a Ryzen 1600x, and 16 gigs of DDR4, i would be eternally grateful.

Part list - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dracomaster9/saved/qbQgLk

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Buy one of those packs of chips at walmart or costco (those 24 pack ones) and sell them for a dollar each at your school.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Also good advice on how to become that guy at school.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Get a work permit and go on indeed.com to find a part time job. I’m 16 and I work as a night cleaner. I have 3 accounts that I’m in charge of cleaning. The hours are incredibly flexible and all the supplies are provided by your employer. All I get paid to do is take out the trash, vacuum, mop and dust.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll check it out. Thanks!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So I don't have any job suggestions, but may I suggest instead of getting a 1600x, save some cash and get a 1600. Also, i would suggest you get one 8gb stick of ram and you can upgrade to 16 gigs later.

Sorry I can't help you out as far as employment goes. :(

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

That's fine, thanks for the suggestions! i only chose 1600x for the higher clock speed and so i dont have a heatsink lying around. I don't intend on overclocking

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Mow lawns, shovel snow, walk dogs, babysit, dogsit, catsit, housesit (yes people hire housesitters), buycandy in bulk and sell it to your schoolmates or something, there’s plenty of things you can do.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

only thing out of those i could even try would be the bulk candy thing but i dont have money to do that and the world's Cheapest(TM) vending machine would be my competition.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If you live where it snows you could’ve made an easy load of cash by now, I’ve made a couple hundred dollars from all the snow we’ve been getting.

Mowing lawns is easy, just offer to friends and family, if your parents have one ask if you can use it.

Walking dogs is probably one of the easier ones that doesn’t require much to get started.

If you try housesitting, it’s literally getting paid to sit in people’s houses while they’re on vacation, that’s it lol

Keep brainstorming, you’ll figure something out.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

The ideas you presented would be challenging since my parents are reluctant to do anything for me in this field, but thank you for your suggestions and I will try my best to think of a solution like you said!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you could cut your budget down by only buying part of the PC now as GPUs are really expensive, just get an R5 2400G or an i5 with an iGPU, then you save yourself $400 or more to buy a GPU later one.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

already have the motherboard, (AM4) and i dont have money to buy anything in general right now, so that is out, thanks though!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel like I've answered questions like this a hundred times. Easy answer is to do menial jobs. Hard answer is to start a small business.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Simple work in the neighborhood.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I worked by mowing lawns for a summer, and that gave me $500.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

walmarts near me hire at minimum 16, and when i say i don't have money for a computer, i mean i dont have money at all, my parents certainly wont buy me a lawnmower when my stepdad can just bring his from work, but i cant use that one for anything because it doesnt belong to my family

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

That's fine, thank you!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

They might trust me with that because the staff knows i'm good with computers and i have helped them on numerous occasions because they don't even have an IT Staff person (Private school) however, they might not consider it because they are so tightly budgeted and they can't even hire a teacher for my math class so i'm stuck with substitutes if they even show up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube