add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thunderbolt

FireFox500

13 months ago

If you ran an EX3 thunderbolt card attached to a thunderbolt dock (one of those big, expensive, million-port ones) with 2 thunderbolt outs among a host of other outputs, could you hook a 5K display AND a thunderbolt audio interface (which uses TB2) to your PC and have them both function at full capacity? Or would you run out of lanes?

a 5K display at 60Hz would require around 22Gb/s of throughput

Thanks, FireFox500

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Thunderbolt 3 can support 5k 60hz, but it’s going to be dependent on the actual device.

Take this Star Tech external dock. It supports duel 4K or a single 5k 60hz resolutions. But that’s still being powered by whatever the gpu is.

So yes, an external gpu enclosure can support 5k 60hz with a Tb3 card.

But remember those numbers are in dedicated TB3 connections. With an adapter card you are limited to the pcie bandwidth, regardless of the tb3 max bandwidth. Pcie x4 slots have a max bandwidth of 10Gbps single direction, 20Gbps duel direction.

Thunderbolt 3 supports up to 20Gbps/50Gbps, you won’t see the full potential on an expat too. Card (unless they make x8 adapter cards).

But if you are lucky enough to have a thunderbolt 3 port then you can utilize the full potential of the dock, but you will see less performance @5k than you would with a direct connection to a x8/x16 Gpu. And even a dedicated high end card is going to be shredded at 5k.

That’s my take on this. If there is someone here more familiar (Jeff looking at you) please speak up.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have looked around a bit more since the initial post and it seems that my plan wouldn't work in its entirety due to not enough TB3 outs. The dock would need a TB out for the interface and the monitor, but that isn't possible (or it seems that way because no docks have it) it looks like. Guess I have to wait a little longer for a new iteration of TB and display DP and HDMI.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube