add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So, what are you going to do after graduating college?

Nater650

18 months ago

Here’s what I’m going to do:

Party hard (I love parties)

Tell my friends how much my life sucked without them once I get them back. (Please don’t ask how I lost them.)

Hopefully get a good paying job

Live the good life

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 22 points

Based on profile pic, you may have a while until you get to college in the first place

• 18 months ago
  • 13 points
  1. Parties happen in college, not after.

2. You and most other people here aren't even done with HS. Graduating college is a long ways off for you guys. A better title would be what do you plan on doing after high school.

I have around 1.5 years left until I'm done.

Get a real job (e.g a software engineer). Pretty obvious.

Probably make a financial mistake and hopefully get a C7 Corvette of some sort once I get a real job.

Besides that I have no plans, gonna see where the road takes me.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

I'd like to know how many times "financial mistake" and "corvette" have been used together in the same sentence since its inception in 1953 lol. I love the idea though, sounds like a good plan.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it is the most obvious midlife crisis car to get.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Very true. I'm hoping for an early life crisis so I have an excuse to buy one lol. Maybe the rumored mid-engine C8 hmmm...

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, midlife crisis would be a Mustang, challenger, or odd exotic thing... The corvette is a retirement car lol

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

^ I would have to agree despite how much I love them lol. According to a google search the average corvette owner is like ~60 years old.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Great cars, but you need to be retired to afford them! Haha

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Just take a trip to STL. You see nothing but old men in Corvettes as far as the eye can see, lol.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

In 10 years beat up c7s will be going for 25k. Mark my words.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Why did I think of a Cryorig C7???

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably make a financial mistake

We all do at some point in time, lol. Mine was getting a car right before losing my source of income....That put a hit on my credit.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 8 points

Your profile picture is just asking for trouble.

• 18 months ago
  • 6 points

How did you lose your friends?

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Join the Navy, work hard, live as cheaply as possible, save as much money as I can, and then move to New Zealand.

First I have to actually start college. ;)

A lot can change in four years, but for the time being that's my plan.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Hope the navy works out for you :D

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks man. :)

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

My buddy joined the marines right out of high school. Not a lot of family time, but damn he gets to see the world. He's been to India, Japan, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa, California, Virginia, etc. If you go that route I'm sure you will have the time of your life. I know he sure has

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm planning to go to college first and then commission in and I really hope I can travel a little bit. I would love to visit Japan or South Korea.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Try to look into ROTC programs too, might give you a smooth route into the service and some perks ahead of time before even joining. My wife's cousin did that at Penn State and she's actually heading to South Korea in a few months.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm hoping to apply for the Nurse Candidate Program the Navy offers. (Or did offer, they've pulled all their information regarding nurses from the website) If I'm accepted into the candidate program then all I have to do is complete nursing school, pass the NCLEX, go to Officer Development School, and then they'll send me to a hospital somewhere in the States for about a year and after that deployment and TDY options should become available.

I'm hoping to talk to a recruiter this summer to get some more information.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds awesome man, glad there are people out there like yourself who can be a nurse. Something I could never do lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't mind me asking, why?

I'm really interested in any input so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

OK, so I've done a little research. Not much, and definitely not enough to compare to your experience in New Zealand but here are my conclusions to your points.

1. Domestic Abuse: Those numbers are shocking and quite disturbing, however I don't think I will be directly effected by them except in my work where I would be helping them if they go to a hospital and seek help.

2. Major Industries: How does that effect everyday people? From what I have read New Zealand's economy is very strong right now. So whatever they're doing, they must be doing something right.

3. I know about the weather.

4. NZD: This is the biggest drawback. Out of everything you've mentioned, this one I already knew about and it's been in the back of mind for awhile now. I think if I live frugally I should be OK. I don't need a lot, I know a lot of people say that and don't mean it, but I really don't need a lot. I'm a quiet guy, I don't party, I don't go out to eat very often, and I tend to use things until they break beyond repair.

5. Those are STDs. Don't sleep around and be careful when handling needles and I'll be fine. ;)

While the domestic abuse stats are shocking and there is a drug problem I don't think I would go as far to say that it's slipping into a 'third world' state. Far from it in fact, but that's just my opinion. I'll know better when I go and visit.

Out of curiosity, where in NZ did you live?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... that sucks.

Would you suggest Australia over New Zealand or just ride it out in the United States.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, let's not get too carried away, I still need to graduate high school.

All jokes aside, I'll likely work in the media department. Currently certified in three TWO (might try to add After Effects in there, too.) Adobe programs, signed up for a media internship for my senior year, aced each of my first 5 semesters of video productions, etc.

Just a great field for me.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I think the proper title would be after school, because some people might not be able or don't want to go to college or university to begin with.

I personally want to become a screenwriter. I've been writing for the last eight years so far, and hopefully a reasonable Hollywood agent will find my work a must-see. I also like computer hardware (hence the builds in my profile) and tried pursuing it. Maybe I'll take a few lesson to better my knowledge, or even work in a better shop that requires computer technician, to make good money.

At the end of the day, I just hope to get married, have kids, have enough, and make my life worthwhile.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I knew a guy who got a "job" as a screenwriter for a sitcom- he actually was involved writing the pilot. He lived in the midwest, packed all his stuff to move to LA. On the way there, making his way to LA, the show was cancelled.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Bummer. So what is he doing now? Is there anyone who can offer him a job, or does he look for projects himself?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

He told stories about how cut-throat it is there. He worked doing various jobs related to the industry and gave up after a while. Went a different direction and go into the IT world - completely separate from Hollywood.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Does this related job include films rather than TV shows and others? And what is that IT world?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember him telling me he had to hold up some equipment for a photo shoot along the beach. So not really sure. IT - Information Technology - usually that is a position in the department that contains the servers and routing equipment for the network of a business/facility.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Wow, 1253 comments yet no Karma wow

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

Is there a problem with that?

• 17 months ago
  • 4 points

I'd say that probably points towards a change being advisable in the way you handle things on here. Perhaps listen to feedback, be respectful, and try to think for a few seconds before responding?

• 17 months ago
  • 6 points

Ok then I’ll consider doing that, and editing my comments too when I get the chance

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd say that will go a long way.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

He's probably too far gone to be able to fix it IMO. Hopefully, he'll change his attitude so he can get a better reputation.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

At 3,000 comments I had about 10% karma to comment ratio. Now, at about 9,600 comments, I have around ~23% karma to comment ratio. So, they could turn it around.

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

Hey I have a 22.6% (basically 23%) ratio too! 23% karma to comment ratio buddies!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

He is far in the negatives by now

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 200 comments and 47 karma, so you can see it is quite easy to get karma, so you must be doing something wrong to not have any with 1200+ comments

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 2 points

So what does "Party hard" mean? Does it mean to drink so much alcohol that you become sick and have no recollection of the events leading up to that? Does it mean consuming drugs to the point that you become a problem to those around you? What is your definition of it?

If my friend told me that their life sucked without me, I'd question their dependency on me.

What is your "Live the good life" definition? It is different for everyone. Is it eating caviar on the deck of a yacht in the Caribbean? Just curious.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

My definition of party hard: throw lots of parties when I get the chance.

My definition of living the good life: getting a job, getting married, living happily ever after kind of like in a fairytale

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Parties are tiring. I prefer to stay home and relax....And I'm only 24, lol.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your "Live the good life" definition? It is different for everyone. Is it eating caviar on the deck of a yacht in the Caribbean?

Mine sure as hell is.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

After college I plan on moving to Colorado and getting a job there.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

my fiancee and i moved to CO after college and started working there.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

That's pretty cool :D. How is it?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Expensive. VERY expensive. On average the pay there isnt enough considering the cost of living. We recently moved back to the east coast. Denver is an AMAZING place and we love it, but DAMN it is expensive.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I hear that a lot. I'm moving out there after college to pursue a career in an IT related field, plus some of my family members live in Denver.

I have visited once and it was a great city. It should be a fun transition from Alabama to Colorado if I decide I still want to move lol.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

Nice

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are wondering what job I’m going to get, I haven’t decided since I’m stuck between being a biomedical engineer and being a video game developer since the pay for both those jobs are really good

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

biomedical engineer

video game developer

You better be smart af.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Video game developers are notoriously underpaid and overworked compared to 'traditional' software developers, just fyi. It's definitely a 'passion' job, important to know going in. =)

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

This. I wanted to be a video game developer in HS but I did some research and decided **** that ****, its not worth it.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Good careers to be had as a SDET =)

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup. I know a guy who worked at Williams Entertainment/Midway games. He worked with the guy who developed Mortal Kombat. That guy lived at the work place for about 30 days to complete the game. Sounds like he was living the dream.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Whew, 30 days at the office. That was even before the days of awesome offices like Google that we have today where they have all the luxuries to try and entice software devs to stay as long as possible. That was probably just a fairly average, crummy office, haha. Crunch is disgusting.

I don't think my relationship would have survived working at a AAA game dev studio. I really hope they fix those working conditions.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Most likely the developer didn't have any relationships going on.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont plan on going to college, not only does it cost all time high prices, it's becoming worth less and less in most employer's opinions, because more and more people have them (Supply and demand). When I get out of highschool, I'm thinking about joining the Airforce for a few years, acquiring skill and experience in a trade (A more specific role, think welding for example), and live frugally until I can afford to purchase a basic house of my own.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Unfortunately though, many employers use computer programs or 3rd party services to screen resumes and applications... Most require college degrees, even if the degree is pointless. This means that usually a human will never see your application because a computer will weed you out right away...

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a shame...

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I recommend community college to keep the cost down for the first few years. I paid about 5k for my associates degree program. My BS program is about 16k. So, about 21K in total. It's really not too bad considering some schools have a higher tuition than that per year.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I've thought out an alternate college route as well, it involves me going to community college while living out of my mom's house to avoid rent costs. We'll see how life pans out for me, I've still got another year of HS before I really start to try to make some life decisions :P

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

If it's something you would end up wanting to do definitely consider that route. It cut costs down A LOT. While the degree doesn't instantly make you a lot of money, it does increase your average salary, which at 21K cost would be offset within no more than 5 years probably.

• Lol, someone is fundamentally opposed to Community Colleges, I suppose.
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

No, not at all. Most employers wouldn't differentiate where you got your generals completed at. Some will, but definitely not most.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose I could've phrased that differently. College is becoming the new high school. More people are requiring it, because more people have a degree. It's becoming the new high school: A highschool diploma is viewed as being worth very little, but if you don't have one you're screwed.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been done with college quite some time ago. When I was in it though, I extended my classes over as many sessions as I can to split the amount of work per session and increasing the amount of free time I had. After college, the party time is pretty much over unless you sacrifice something else.

Theres only so many hours in a day...

As for a job, I believe I am pretty well off but theres defenitely higher paying job but I didnt want to really go through university since I could not afford it.

[comment deleted]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

What I say after college will be relevant to what I do during college so here I go.

I want to get a bachelors degree in Engineer and a Master’s in Law School. This would lead to me possibly become a Patent Lawyer, which make about really good money. My dad knows someone who makes about 400,000 USD every year from it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Did they make that salary straight out of college? Probably not. I bet it took them at least 20 yrs before they saw that income.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Most likely not but hey, I’m a 13 year old who loves to imagine the future.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Not many people make that kind of $$$.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Still good money if you don’t get the income of 400,000. At least 100k.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Because they have enough money to do so. ;)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

My plans. Pretty simple. I am going to join a cult of death and destruction where I learn to kill people and break things. In other words become an Officer in the United States Marine Corps.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoa, straight to officer? I wish you the best of luck! :)

• 17 months ago
  • 4 points

Just gotta go to college before hand and hope I get lucky. But from what my Father has told me they are not too picky on what degree you have as long as it is somewhat useful. So if anyone was hoping to become an officer off of their masters in Lesbian Dance Theory then they need to reevaluate their will to live.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

AFAIK if you join most branches with a Bachelors Degree, you start as the lowest ranking officer in that branch, usually a Lieutenant II.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah rarely does anyone become an officer and not start there. The only times that I can think of when they don't start at Second Lieutenant is when they have been enlisted for over 10 years. When that happens they usually make Captain/Lieutenant Commander within a few months. But in the Marine Corps you usually make Captain by 7 years. And your job will determine how fast you make Major. My Father knew a guy who was a Captain for 12 years before getting promoted to Major, And another who was a Captain for 6 years before making Major. The only difference being what they did. The first was an Artillery Officer and the other was an Intel Officer.

The only branches that don't have 2nd Lieutenant as their lowest rank is the Navy and the Coast Guard where you start at Ensign, But it is literally the same thing with a different name.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

You also have a certain period of time to progress to the next level before being relieved. At least in some situations. There are battlefield promotions and battlefield commission, but I don't know if battlefield commissions are still used, as it's been a long time since they have utilized it (Audie Murphy - WWII Staff Sergeant to Second Lieutenant).

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

lol did you get lesbian dance theory from swaggersouls?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know where I originally heard it but in general it and other sayings like it are used to point out how stupid and useless a lot of college degrees are.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Either graduate and become an ER room doctor or a anesthesiologist.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m gonna probably go to collage to get a degree in architecture and engineering. I love building things messing with modeling programs and stuff like that. I also like talking to people. I get good grades so it sounds like the job for me granted I have a while till then. Would be nice to minor or get a 2nd major in electronics (or something of that sort). Collage can be fun if you live your life waiting for “the fun time” you will never find it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I dropped from College to work two jobs. I have never done well in school, so I don’t bother.

My job provides training towards any position, so College is unnecessary.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

I feel like the title should be after graduating HS* lol. Clearly doesn't know that the best parties happen in college not after...

• 17 months ago
  • 0 points

Sorry about the title

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

As a parent, I like the parts that you mention your parents.

Good luck with your goals.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube